[3830] WPX CW DL8MBS SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 28 04:34:57 EDT 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: DL8MBS
Operator(s): DL8MBS
Station: DL8MBS

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Erfurt

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

For most of the time it felt as 20m was tired of being the workhorse contest
after contest. It was even extremely difficult to reach nearby UA. As
everything is bigger there, maybe even their QRN was louder than ours. But with
qrp being a struggle by itself no complain at all - and it was rewarded sunday
evening with a splendid shortskip/Es-opening on 15/10m: two hours that never
felt like 5 W to lowwires.
Being a lazy software user I discovered only a few days before the contest the
N1MM-feature to reduce the sending speed for a single character in one´s own
call. Taking two wpm away from the final "S" in my 13-dits-call decreased the
error rate of the receiving stations very significantly. But nevertheless - the
best readability and the most "punch" still comes with sending by paddle, hi.
Thanks to many, many ops for their patient listening to name only a few like
IK1QBT, C4W, RX3ZX or LY3M.

Rig K2 - 5 W
Provisional "antenna farm" for the weekend:
- 2x10m doublet fed @ 10m with one arm horizontal and one vertical
- 2x20m wire (one horizontal, one sloping close to ground, both combining at
the window entrance @ 12 m to run 1 m parallel with spacers to the tuner)
QRN and heavy rain made the idea unattractive to go in the yard, connect the
low ends, short the upper feeder and use it as asymmetric 160m-shortdipole -
but there will be a next time to tourture folks with the signal coming from
it...

All the best and 73, Chris

(www.dl8mbs.de)