[3830] WPX CW ZL6QH M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 28 07:56:11 EDT 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: ZL6QH
Operator(s): HA3LN W2ID ZL1AZE ZL1CT ZL1TM ZL2AGY ZL2BSJ
Station: ZL6QH

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Wellington

   40: 1198
   20: 1118

A tough contest with poor condx for us. Our raw Multi-Multi score of 10.8 M is
10% lower than last year's Multi-Two, and much lower than our OC record of 16M.
The under-performing bands were 10, 15 and 160 m with frustrating one-way
propagation (RX only) on several bands.

Rufz-XP meister Chris ZL1CT/GM3WOJ organised a computer-simulated QRQ contest
'to provide a break from the raging pile-ups'. Visiting ops Csaba HA3LN and
John W2iD showed how it was done, leaving all other competitors in the dust as
HA3LN took line honours.

The weekend was a reasonably social event at ZL6QH. The kitchen table carried
enough groceries to feed an orphanage. Csaba HA3LN and YL Kriszta introduced us
to HA-made Unicum (40 % alc.) which was found to mix well with coffee and kept
the nightshift awake. Chris ZL1CT admitted to having a no-bread detox diet
imposed on him. Chris's callsign was duly changed to ZL-One-Cold-Turkey.

Some ZL6QH ops feel that the WPX discourages activity on the more difficult
bands such as 160 and 10 m. Perhaps prefixes should count on a 'by band' basis.
Alternatively,the QSO weighting could be increased for 160/10 and reduced for 20
m.

Brian ZL1AZE and Chris ZL1CT had fun with the computers and the networking. At
times, half the crew was racing around fixing computers and ZL6QH went for much
of the contest without DX spots. On the sunny side: the antenna farm was in full
working order, the WX cooperated and there were no equipment problems. ZL6QH had
four stations active: FT1000MP, FT1000-MkV-Field, TS570 (80 m) and IC725
(160/10m), all with amplifiers.

The antennas we used were: Vee Beams (300 m legs) to USA, JA/Eu (x2), Eu LP and
USA LP. In addition: 5 element monoband yagis for 20 m (Eu LP and USA), 5
element yagis for 15 m (JA/Eu and USA) and 6 element yagis for 10 m (JA/Eu and
USA). For 80 m we used a full-size GP with elevated radials, for 160 half-wave
slopers for JA/Eu and USA. For all other bands: a terminated, reversible
Rhombic with 80 m sides.

The antennas are due to be removed once the wind farm takes shape, and the 2007
WPX CW is possibly the last major contest from ZL6QH for a while. We hope to be
back with a different set-up.

Thanks for working us in the WPX CW. QSL via ZL2AOH, direct or bureau.

73 fm ops HA3LN W2iD ZL1AZE ZL1CT/GM3WOJ ZL1AZE ZL1TM ZL2AGY ZL2BSJ and support
crew ZL2AMI and ZL2AOV.