[3830] WPX CW KR2Q SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 28 10:31:10 EDT 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KR2Q
Operator(s): KR2Q
Station: KR2Q

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: FN20ru NNJ

What a LOT OF FUN!!!!  Still crazy after all these years........

INTRO
Decided to play in this one on Friday the 25th when I got "released" from work
at 1pm.  IE, no prep.  I believe this may be my first "serious" WPX cw contest,
though I may have done one other at some time in the past 40 years.  Usually,
the wx is beautiful and I quit on Saturday morning as the sun shines in the
window.

ADDING UP OFF TIMES
This is the first time ever that I decided to add up my "short breaks" and see
how long I really operated.  I did not exclude times when I was operating but
having no luck (ie, tuning the band).

Surprised to see that the 7 "less than 60 minute" breaks I took added up to 2
hours and 17 minutes.  I did have one "break" of 41 minutes, but not sure what
that was.  I still see real value to breaks when "things are slow."  They
provide important refresher time: keep the blood circulating in the legs,
stretch the back and other joints, go outside and breath some fresh air, etc.
However, I would never have guessed that they totaled 2.25 hours.  OUCH.  After
40 years of contesting, it is still a learning process (or in my case, a matter
of remembering what I forgot).

WHO WILL HEAR ME?
A fun feature of QRP is that you never know who will hear you.  LOTS of very
strong guys appear to be deaf.  Some guys, who I can barely hear above the
noise, come back on one call.  That (the latter case) is ALWAYS exciting and
cause of frequent amazement during the contest.  One can only imagine why the
LOUD guys can't hear me and repeatedly CQ in my face with no other takers
(LOL).

DO I HAVE THE LUCK OF THE IRISH?
After one break (was on 20) I decided to check out 15m (2025z).  I was happily
rewarded with a very unexpected opening to EU:  9 EU qso's in 11 minutes (first
EU q's on 15).  NEAT!

BAND CHANGES
Being SO1R, I track my band changes:  60 in 2 days.

QRPers FATE (LAMENT)
Being QRP also means having your frequency stolen.  NO big deal.  LP guys lose
to QRO and single yagi 90 foot tower guys suffer the same with big stack types.
 However...I did have one instance where the DX came back to R2Q? and I was
stomped on by a famous "BB" - but it only happened once, so worthy of a mental
note, but not much more.  How does BB = R2Q?????

WPX PHILOSOPHY
I do note the comment by ZL6QH about WPX being "anti-10/160" and I agree.
Actually, during this part of the sunspot cycle, one can spend 99% of their
time on 2 bands (40/20) and easily still win.  WPX is a runners delight in that
little consideration need be taken for "what do I need on that band" cuz mults
count once and who care what the band is.  This is a very interesting (cool?)
aspect of WPX.  Post contest I chatted with N2AA and he asked if I got the 10m
EU opening.  That would have been nice, but really, who cares?  Keep up rate
and  ignore which band you're on.

WPX ILLOGICAL EXCITEMENT
Even though a mult is a mult, I can't lose the DXer in me.  I get more excited
working A45WD or EX2A or a handful of ZLs (ZMs) than I do working another WB2.
But by the end of the 'test, I just love those WB6's!  And BTW, I did not even
one WB2!  :-(

SO2R QRP
WPX is one of the few "DX" contests where I can see a real need for SO2R while
doing QRP.  I'll have to give this a try next year.  And since I have  (just
since last year) started to do SS, I guess SO2R is now in my future (time to
cave).

CONCLUSION
Thanks to all for the fun ride.  I was really EXCITED during the operation of
this contest and I just LOVE to feel this connected to the radio and to the
band conditions.  It is definitely otherworldly and a wonderful escape from
working life (thanks Buz).

Elecraft K2 (qrp-only version).
2L HB quad at 55' (tower 1)
402CD at 80' (tower 2)
11L tribander (OB11-3) at 72' (tower 2)
Wires on 80/160

Software:  Still using CT
Keyer:  KC keyer (still works great)

Thanks to all who struggled to hear me (sorry) and who took the time to CFM my
serial # after many repeats.

de Doug KR2Q