[3830] WPX CW NV1N(N1UR) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 28 17:42:44 EDT 2007

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NV1N
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: VT

   20: 1026

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Boy conditions really stunk for this one up here in the Northern most part of
the US.  It was fun to work such high rates at the beginning with the Beam
pointed to the US on 20M (a 100 hour start personal best for any LP USA effort
here).  But trying to work EU was a struggle much of the time.  80M was in
really nice shape mostly for US and a little bit of EU but of course the
activity from EU to US was low.

40M was actually decent from 03 – 05Z with a very nice EU run from here (80
hour almost all 6 point Qs followed by a 73 hour mostly 6 pointers as well).
Took my first off time at 05Z.  20M opening early on was not great to EU.  I
was actually running 40M from 10 – 12Z and S & Ping 20M on radio 2.  I had
some nice pacific call me (VK, ZL, 3D2, KH6).  Finally started running a combo
of EU and US on 20M but never at fabulous rates (60ish).  15M stunk on
Saturday.  Then, low and behold, I worked about a dozen EU stations on 10M
(probably E-Skip) at around 18Z just as 20M is starting to pick up.  Worked as
many as I could while CQing on 20M.

Back to 40M by 23Z and again had a reasonable run until S & Ping by 04Z and off
at 05Z.  The next morning I started again around 10Z and had about 1 hour and 45
mins left to go for off time.  I like the end of the contest rates so I was
looking for the opportunity to take it.  Even though the morning rates were
only in the 40s, I new it would probably get worse around mid day.  And it did,
but then 15M sounded decent with a few REALLY LOUD F and DL and EA stations but
not much else.  None of the medium strength stations could hear me and it was
very frustrating.  15 mins of CQing produced not one Q!  I took my off time
right then out of frustration more than anything else.

Got back on around 1830Z and finished out the contest on 20 and finally 40M for
the last hour or so.

Never heard one JA in the whole contest.  I did work a few UA9s but that was it
for Asiatic Russia.  Lots of activity from US and EU.  And surprisingly high
Pacific activity.  Not much from Africa and just a moderate amount from
Pacific.  There were very very few Caribbean Stations on as well.  The most
Mexican stations that I have possibly ever heard in a contest as well.

K5ZD made the “its like 2 QSO parties that occasionally meet in the
middle”.  During low sunspot cycle years, that is a very true statement about
WPX.  Understanding which one your in at any time in the contest, is the key to
success I have found.

See you in IARU and Field Day.

73

Ed N1UR