[3830] SS CW K4RO Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 4 22:06:54 EST 2007

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: TN

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

My most enjoyable SS yet. Everything went right this time.
You see, the secret to winning QRP CW SS is picking a year
when N6TR and AG9A are not at W5WMU or N0NI. :-)  Now if
KE3Q will only give some of the HP guys a chance someday....
N4OGW may still have me beat, but I didn't hear Tor after
our QSO in the 200's, when he was about 35 ahead of me.

So many highlights, it's hard to select any one to report.
I was disappointed with my accuracy last year, and I worked
hard to make it better this year. I lost the sweep due to a
busted QSO with my only Newfoundland station last year. And
speaking of last year,  I was really impressed with AG9A's
accuracy stats. I was also hugely relieved to received a
"B" from N0NI. :-)

I know that the hard end of a QRP QSO is with the receiving
station, and I appreciate all of the patience that I received.
K1PQS and VY1EI really hung in there with me for tough QSOs.
Thanks guys!

Once again, 80 meters was just amazing. I'm convinced that
this ridge top really adds to my 80m success. I have nothing
but a half sloper off the tower at 80 feet, a ground mounted
vertical, and a Windom at 35'.  It's the ability to change
angles that seems to make the difference. That plus the Beverages
makes me feel like King of the Hill on 80 meters. That is, until
a "B" station pushes me away for the umpteenth time... Oh well.
That's QRP SS...

I still can't touch W4PA's TN record, let alone N5TJ.
This remains one of my all-time favorite contests.
Long Live CW Sweepstakes!

73

-Kirk  K4RO