[3830] SS CW K1RX Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 5 08:23:31 EST 2007

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: K1RX
Operator(s): K1RX
Station: K1RX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NH

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

With a local start time of 5 PM (instead of the usual 4 PM time), seemed I had
all kinds of time to do non-radio stuff with the family on Saturday - a good
thing!  Competition is killing me!  During the CQ WW test, it was the World
Series baseball final, then a good football game, and now with the big build up
for the Colts vs. Patriots football game on Sunday afternoon, I knew I was in
big trouble!  Like Randy, K5ZD, just kinda lost my drive for the long haul on
Sunday afternoon and night (of course having a few beers during the game did
not help!) Worked a few during the half time break, and then returned to just
hit a 1200 Q goal and call it done - wonder if Randy and I were in sync here?

As for the SS, I had a ball in the first 12 hours or so.  The last sections
worked were NLI, then NL on Sunday morning on 40, and the last one that CALLED
ME was Jay, VY1JA on 20 that morning - looked for others but never found them
(Thanks Jay for the call - you made my morning and weekend!).  Was really
surprised to find them all so quickly.  Must say - very good activity this
year.

Had plans for using a new 40 M antenna (Vee-Yagi by NW3Z/WA3FET) and managed to
get it up at 70 ft. during the week with the help of K1PV and K1AC.  Feed line
issues, other weird stuff - killed that idea so ended up using the upper 40 M
KLM 4 el. of a stack (bottom one was pointed south).  This band, as  usual, is
the money band and one can do very well with just wires too! And as an added
feature, I put up an 80 M dipole at 70 ft. just to see if my 4 SQ vertical
system might of had an issue (it does - we did poorly on 80 M during the CQ WW
SSB test) - think I have a feedline loss issue on this one - so ended up using
the dipole 90% of the time and found the 4 SQ did much better for hearing the
reports of the boys out west but did not TX much on that antenna.

Another great CW event - did enjoy it for the time spent, great to see the
Pat's win (9-0) and the beers were rather tasty after so many waters, diet
drinks, etc.!

Thanks everyone for the Q!

73, Mark, K1RX