[3830] SS CW KE1FO Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 5 20:08:11 EST 2007

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KE1FO
Operator(s): KE1FO
Station: KE1FO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VT

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Had a great time.  New tower, so I had a tribander up at 30 feet.  This was a
wonderful improvement over a dipole for 20M.  As usual, 40M was "the band" for
this contest.  I spent almost all day Sunday CQing on 40 and S&P on 20 (SO2R)
or vice versa.  I was surprised how well it went as this is the first contest
I've really had my hardware and antennas all set up.

Missed AK, PAC, NL, QC and NT.  Never heard AK or PAC.  Heard VY1JA working S&P
on 20 so found a spot and called, but with no success (at least on working the
mult).  All through the contest I felt like I was going to miss a few.  My
ability to pick out the weak ones from amongst all the adjacent loud stations
is not great.  I did notice several times the "desensing" of my reciever around
loud signals.  Since nobody seems to be coming out with roofing filters for the
940's, maybe it's time to think about upgrading.  Too bad, because I really
like these two rigs.

About 0100z all the CW started to sound alike, 40M started to sound like a bowl
of soup, and nobody was new for me on 20 or 80, so at around 0200z I packed it
in.  I did some quick net surfing around 0130z looking for how to turn on
"dueling CQ's" in Writelog (which probably would have kept me in the chair
longer).  It appears this feature is no longer part of Writelog!

I made my goal of 500q's claimed (513).  I hope after my bad copy is removed
from the log I'm still over 500 q's!

Special thanks to those who sent lots of repeats on Sunday afternoon as I was
fighting local AF QRM from my two children and their friend who decided after
being curious about CW for 2 minutes, that they would play loudly directly
outside the shack.

See everyone in two weeks.

73 de Al, KE1FO