[3830] SS SSB K6LA Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 19 19:06:37 EST 2007

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K6LA
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: K6LA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: LAX

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Murphy visited again, but not as severe as in SS CW. When I was S&Ping low in
the new 80m Phone portion of the band, my 80m band pass filter blew as it
didn't like the high SWR. No problem, I hit the Exchange L/R radios button in
Writelog. Immediately, my 80m antenna port for the other radio on my SixPak
blew. Of course, it took about 15 minutes of running back and forth into the
equipment closet in the next room to figure this out. Later I found the 40m
antenna port was taken out also.

Then there was the Pig Farmer on 80m. He told me, "You can't use this
frequency." I did. I worked lots of guys right through him, although I needed a
few fills. When I asked for fills, I prefaced it by saying, "Sorry there is a
Pig Farmer on frequency, I need your number again." So the Pig Farmer starts
yelling "Number Three, Number Three." His timing was really bad, so it didn't
take too long to get the fills. After five minutes he left, and paid me a few
more visits with the same results.

I thought I would start the contest low on 20m and avoid the QRM. I was on
14167 and was going great for the 1st 15 minutes, and then the QRM closed in
and the rates went to the low 100's. Sunday morning I got on at 1350Z and found
14268 clear. I stayed there until 2317Z. I've never held a frequency that long.
In fact, my best hour of the contest was the 1600Z hour. That's never happened
before. There were times when I could hear a pin drop on that revered
frequency, and then 5 minutes later it was QRM hell. And then a few minutes
later it was quiet again. Very strange.

With 90 minutes of on time left, after having a 12 minute hole in the log
despite constant CQing on one radio and S&Ping on the other, and a rate in the
low 20's for the last 60 minutes, I threw in the towel. I should have gotten
back on earlier in the morning.

I also should have used the voice keyer more on Saturday, because I'm very
congested today.

73, Ken, K6LA