[3830] SS SSB K7NV SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 19 23:29:12 EST 2007

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K7NV
Operator(s): K7NV
Station: K7NV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: East of No. Cal

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Sigh, I'm sure glad that one is over!

Admitting that I "don't give very good fone", and don't care for it too
much......
I have to admit that I had several hours of fun with the packet pileups and
getting to talk to so many friends!

Luckily, I didn't have so much equipment drama as the CW weekend ;-)
There is still one nagging problem with the 75/80m inv vee that caused it to go
numb on receive lots of times. Must be a sketchy connection somewhere in the
feed line, or at the antenna feedpoint. Gotta go figure that one out.
The inv "L" is useless on fone, can't match it with the tuner.

The big problem for the weekend was a new power line noise source that showed
up last week toward JA from here. It didn't cause much grief on the 15/20/40m
beams because it was off the back/side quadrant. I could hear it with the
beams, but on 20 & 40m, who cares! The band qrm was so much worse, it didn't
really matter. On 75m it was a killer! Solid S9, cutting in and out most of Sat
night. It finally went away around the time everyone disappeared for their ~8z
breaks.
On Sunday I had problems with the noise when I tried running on 15m. It was
only S3. I could hear all the loud guys fine, but the weak guys were getting
chewed up by it, so I didn't spend much time there, and just hung with a freq
on 20m and battled the freq fights (including the slow scan tv guys that
decended on me late Sunday).

Now, Monday night....."what noise?" it's all gone, quiet as a graveyard, I must
have just imagined it ;-)

I overslept my big break and got back on Sunday morning with no more time left
to take off, but it is a fone contest, so when I needed a pit stop I just took
it (and enjoyed eating something and not having to listen to all the crap for a
few minutes, several times). So, didn't get a full time effort in.

This the best score I've ever made here from this station in an ~ full time
effort in SS SSB, so no complaints. I knew it wouldn't be a big one, trying to
hookup and hold a freq on 20 & 40 is only in my imagination with this stuff
;-)

If it wasn't for the Club competition between my pals in the NCCC and others, I
would never chose to do this ;-)

It ended up being pretty much fun....in spite of the "oh @#$%'s".

Thanks for all the enjoyable Q's with friends! You guys might convert me to a
Fone Op one of these days ;-)

73!Kurt