[3830] SS SSB K9GX Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 20 03:27:44 EST 2007

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: K9GX
Operator(s): K9GX
Station: K9GX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: IN
Operating Time (hrs): 23:30

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

My best effort ever in this one.

Probably my wisest pre-contest "fix up" was replacing the feedline to the 75m
inverted vee which hangs on the tower with the apex at 90 ft. It was rather
hastily installed as a "temporary" two years ago (I know). The "original"
feedline consisted of two pieces of coax with a PL258 coupler in the middle. I
replaced the feedline. I reset the support lines and tightened everything up
and the wire played really well.

I had the shack "peaked and tweaked" early Saturday morning, new TR log
directory and DVP files were set up and ready so I took a shower at about 1pm
local and a quick nap. Returned to the shack at about 20:30 UT ready to settle
in and find a spot on 20. When I tapped the foot switch an obnoxious hum spewed
forth in my TX monitor...and the mic transmit audio was non-existent. A quick
check of connectors...NADA! DVP files were playing FB. At abt 20:57 I was about
to come to the conclusion that the weekend could be much better spent watching
football or attending to household chores. However, insanity prevailed and I
decided to reboot the PC thinking that one of the relays on the DVP was
sticking. Anybody ever seen this? That did the trick!

The next big "Murphy moment" came when I went to 75m at about 00:30. RF was
locking up the keyboard and it was very difficult to input anything while
transmitting. I ran with it like that for about a half hour and decided
something needed to be done. Took my first break at 01:00 to investigate.
Found the 75m feedline was formed into a loop below the Six-Pack antenna ports
about six inches away from the PC. I moved the coax several feet away and that
solved the problem.

Operating I couldn't seem to get a run going on 20m (not unusual from here).
Enjoyed a nice 15m opening on Sunday afternoon. Probably should have spent a
little time on 160, but 75 was so noisy on Saturday night (I remember
commenting to someone that the noise level on 75 sounded like summertime) I
just didn't think 160 would be worth a darn. Probably a mistake on my part this
year.

Best comments: During the above noted 75m computer problem one contact said
"time to get out the pencil".

Best smart-aleck comment: I was trying to pull a west coaster out of the noise,
I think it was on 75. His section was Oregon. This was one of those "repeat it
several times" deals. If he wasn't QRP he sounded like it. Finally I asked him
"ORegon like the state?" Came a comment from the peanut gallery "no, Oregon
county". Jeez, all this comedic talent shouldn't be lurking in the shadows on
the ham bands, there's a writer's strike going on in Hollywood for heaven's
sake.

Highlights: Working a lot of checks of 05, 06 and 07. Finishing the sweep with
VY1JA on 20m at around 1700 Sunday afternoon. I was making a feeble attempt at
running on 20 and begging for NWT when someone QSYed through and told me J was
operating up the band. I cruised up, found him and working him on the first
call...in the middle of an unruly pileup. Thanks J! Late on Sunday, during
doldrum time it was great to work lots of guys who were giving me serial
numbers in the 10s and 20s, thanks guys! Was also great to work quite a few YLs
and kids.

Lowlight: I was running on 40m Sunday morning when a well known, usually high
scoring, station in the southwest tuned up and started calling CQ about 700hz
above me. I'm running 2 elements on 40 at 105ft with 1.2kw and the antenna
pointed west. You should be ashamed of yourself OM.

One other highlight: Really enjoy the new "wide open spaces" on 75m. I sat at
about 3675 for more than 3 hours Saturday night and it was great. What was even
more surprising was that on Sunday night I found a spot at about 3859 and ran
for the last two hours of test without any "bubba factor" at all. Amazing!

Was also great to hear the guys at KT0R. Thanks to everyone for a very
enjoyable (?) weekend!

73, Mark, K9GX