[3830] CQWW CW N2NL SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Nov 25 19:55:03 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N2NL
Operator(s): N2NL
Station: N2NL

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: FL

  160:   73    17       52
   80:  201    29      109
   40:  342    37      126
   20:  673    34      135
   15:  184    26      108
   10:   38    15       20

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

SO1R,
80/160: modified HF2V (55ft tall), 1 elevated radial for each band
40: 1/4 wave vertical, 2 elevated radials
20: phased verticals, 1/2 wave spaced, 2 elevated radials each element
15 and 10: both have 1/4 wave verticals with 2 elevated radials each
All antennas were located in a 3ft x 120ft space....[disclaimer follows]....on
my dock over salt water.

     Details here: http://www.n2nl.net/gallery/QTH

     Since I wasn't able to travel to K3LR this weekend, I decided to get on
from home as seriously as possible, and have some fun.  Unfortunately, I could
only really run on 20m.  Being close to the Caribbean, there is often high QRN,
and without gain antennas I'd get swamped with the S0 buzz of weak callers.  As
a result, I was a S&P and DXing fool!

     If you ever wondered about the benefits of salt water, just look at the
country totals and what I used for antennas.  I truly felt loud and I floored
myself at some of the things I was able to work.  Zone 17/18/19 on 80m?  WOW!

     15 and 10m were a disappointment.  Many zone 7/8 countries are difficult
if not impossible to work on these bands due to my close proximity, and many of
those I did work were thanks to the good ears of the ops who heard my signal via
scatter.  I was surprised, however, to hear a loud VU2PAI on 15m this morning,
although I couldn't make it through the European callers.

     Packet and Win-Test actually greatly improved the fun factor for me -
although I cringed many times when I was trying to work something weak and it
gets spotted - and the onslaught begins.

     Although I really was really only competing for top 5 or 10 in the SOA
category, I can't express how rewarding it is to operate from a station
designed and built by myself.  I've got about 5 more years in the USCG until I
am eligible for retirement, and I've already got a couple acres of land scoped
out [in Florida] for a future permanent station once I can settle down.  I
can't wait!

     As always, thanks for the Q's and the on-the-air camaraderie with friends
from around the world that makes this sport so great!

73, Dave N2NL/4
Key West