[3830] CQWW CW VE1RGB SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 26 08:34:53 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VE1RGB
Operator(s): VE1RGB
Station: VE1RGB

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   53     8       22
   80:  245    17       70
   40:  223    20       71
   20:  478    19       82
   15:  107    16       46
   10:    5     3        4

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

Oh man, that was fun!

This time last year I was sitting back and enjoying the
results of the first contest in which I had ever scored over one
million points. Thinking that I might never achieve that again, I
told Bev right up front that my goal this year was to work the
equivalent of DXCC – i.e., more than 100 countries – in a single
contest. And yes, she knows what DXCC is – I casually point out my
certificate every time she comes into my man-cave. In the end, I
worked at least 111 DXCC entities.

I'm quite pleased with that because I did it somewhat the hard way:

1. I did it with 100W;
2. I did not use a spotting network (a rather useless tool if
you are low power and without a beam, anyway. What are you going to
do if you see a rare one spotted? Eat the ensuing pile-up?);
3. The first 100 DXCC entities were all S&P. No running;
4. All the CW was deliberately sent by my hand, not by the
keyboard. That is because by my observation, repeated use of
keyboard rig keying results in the ruination of a good CW fist (or
does that make you go blind? I can't remember what my father told
me.); and
5. All my antennas are omni-directional, so I cannot achieve any
directional gain when I need a specific mult or geographical area.

DXCC #100 was 9H3HH and he had so much trouble with my call in the
weak signals and pile-up that I was very reluctant to provide my
exchange until I heard him repeat my call correctly. That delay lead
to some smart-ass on the side who said in CW, quite distinctly, "Just
send it, man!" I snickered to myself. (Sorry, guys.)

When I had reached that stage, I was only about 300 Qs short
of the record 1111 I had made last year, so I took a page out of
VE1AI's contest book and used my big multiplier base to run NA high
up on on a relatively quiet 20M band on Sunday afternoon, with the
keyer set well below the blistering stage so as to recruit the Sunday
casual ops, and thereby build up my total score. That worked very
well. I had a sustained rate of 116 Qs/hour for a full hour, with
gusts to 240, which ain't bad for here. I quit when I saw that I had
reached 1112 Qs, a tactical error inasmuch as re-scoring removed my
bonus Q (I had duped our friend Joe, AA4NN) and so I only tied for my
own record there. I should have worked a couple of "spares".
However, the bottom line above is now my personal best for total
score in any contest ever, and that now becomes next year's target.

At this point, with four hours still left in the contest, I
was a mental and physical basket case, and simply went QRT. I just
could not stay at it any longer. That was difficult to do because
the bands were just jammed with new multipliers and new call signs.

Favourites: KH6 on 80M; E5/s on two bands; 4U1ITU on 14138
KHz (!).

Unsolved mystery: NY4A said to me, "You're doing great,
Gary. See you next summer." NY4A is the Potomac Valley ARC, so who
the heck was the op?!

There are some very, very clicky big guns out there. The PRO
III fought valiantly with that, and I found I could improve the
situation by changing the filter shape to sharp. Still, it's
disappointing and awfully hard on the ears after a few hours. My
K3/100 is now on its way from Canada Border Services in Montreal
where it had been mistakenly held hostage (a whole `nother story),
and we will see how well it deals with that problem. No better than
any other rig, I suspect. And while the 80M band switch on the BigIR
Mk I vertical is currently U/S, I did manage to coax it to work on
the original configuration of 40M and up, and I am absolutely delighted with
its performance on 10M and 15M where signals were extremely weak, yet I
could be heard and I could hear.

See y'all in the next one.

73,
Gary, VE1RGB

__._,_.___

Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to
Traditional
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Groups
Endurance Zone

A Yahoo! Group

for better endurance.