[3830] CQWW CW N2IC SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 26 09:49:08 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Mexico

  160:   53    15       25
   80:  240    27       84
   40:  901    35      106
   20:  862    34      129
   15:  285    27       77
   10:   49    16       29

Thank you, Japan !  Best activity from JA that I can remember in a CW contest !
572 JA's on 40 !

A better weekend than I expected, with the score down only slightly from last
year. First snowstorm of the year brought very bad static crashes on 160. The
beverages on my rocky hill aren't nearly as directive as what I had over flat
farmland in Colorado, so there were no quiet directions. 80 was great to EU on
Friday night, but poor on Saturday night (although I confess to sleeping from
01Z-05Z Saturday night, so maybe there was an opening then). A little long path
on 80 both mornings really helped the multiplier numbers. 40 was a bottomless
pit of JA's, with lots of BY and HL activity, also. Poor to EU all weekend.
Even before sunset, there was no good EU opening. 20 was good for an hour after
sunrise to EU, and good to JA from 21Z-01Z. Otherwise, it was either dead, or a
Zone 8,9,33 and VE band ! My only EU run all weekend was an hour Sunday AM, on
20. My 20 meters mult number was the best ever for me. Seemed like every time I
scanned the band there were lots of new mults. 15 never opened to EU, and only
opened to JA for a 1.5 hours. I was very lucky to catch a very short opening on
10 meters to the Caribbean and Africa on Sunday morning, as well as a Pacific
opening Sunday afternoon. It would have been very easy to miss the Caribbean
opening while working EU on 20 at that time.

On the really negative side, this crap of DX not signing their call has got to
stop !  This was especially bad from Zone 33 and Zone 38 stations. Even working
them and asking their call didn't always elicit the desired response !  Software
authors - you need to add a feature that automatically sends the call on the
"TU" message every N QSO's, where N <= 5 !

Some selected stats:

# EU = 417
# JA/HL/BY = 1133

Thank you, again, Japan, China and Korea !

73,
Steve, N2IC/5