[3830] CQWW CW G5W(@G3BJ) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Nov 26 15:41:38 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G5W
Operator(s): G3BJ, G3SJJ, G4BUO, G4TSH, G0WWW
Station: G3BJ

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Nr Ludlow

  160:  434    17       79
   80: 1211    28      108
   40:  942    34      143
   20: 1372    35      138
   15:  527    29      128
   10:  111    14       45

Club: Chiltern DX Club of UK

Comments:

Rather an indifferent performance from some bands, which I think reflects in our
score this year. Great activity, but really hard overnight on Saturday on LF.
40m seemed to be suffering from high absorption and we had some difficulty
getting the runs going that night. Nice to see 10m spring into life on Sunday

A minor panic on Sunday morning when we lost one bank of antennas on the mult
station - SWR went crazy and for a moment we thought we had had a visit from
the local wild-life and that the antenna switching control cables had been
eaten (which has happened here in the past). In the end it was simply a
fractured cable in the relay box that changes over the two banks of antennas
between stations here. Fixed after about 30 minutes, but 30 minutes of lost
multing time ! Some great LF mults, but hard work to hear some of them with the
wall of Europeans calling.

Everything else worked well - WinTest was bomb-proof as ever, and we ran five
computers on the network, to allow for analysis etc.

We ran with a third (spotting) operating position this year, and it was good to
be able to listen on all bands (even the active bands) within a few kHz of the
G5W signal.

Thankfully the previously forecast winds did not materialise (at the beginning
of the week it was predicted to be rough for the weekend) and the worst we got
was a gentle breeze.

Thanks to Chris (G3SJJ), Dave (G4BUO), Justin (G4TSH) and Marios (G0WWW /
5B4WN) for making the journey over to Shropshire to join in the fun - a great
team.

Station was:

Run:  FT1000MP MkV + linear (See below for antennas)
Mult: FT1000MP + linear (See below for antennas)
Spot: FT1000MP MkV + Cushcraft R5 (but works well as an rx antenna on other
bands)

Antennas:
Bank A: 40-10m Force 12 yagi at 80 ft; dipoles for 80/160
Bank B: 20-10m SteppIR at 60ft, Titanex V160HD for 40/80/160
Banks A and B can be changed between the two stations

K9AY loop on both stations

Win-Test v 3.18 networked