[3830] CQWW CW K7GK(@K7ZSD) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 27 14:46:00 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K7GK
Operator(s): K7GK
Station: K7ZSD

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: OR

  160:   72    14       22
   80:  150    27       54
   40:  375    28       89
   20:  578    31       91
   15:  125    19       46
   10:   11     7        8

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Tough conditions from the left coast, particularly on 20M. I didn't expect much
from 15 or 10, but 20? Only 85 Europeans on 20M, down from 295 two years ago
and only 18 on the second day. 40 long path was good to Europe both mornings
but 80 was barely there. On 80 I had 5 European Qs SP first evening, one LP
(RU1A) first morning, no Europe SP second evening and two more LP (UA3TCJ,
RW4PL) second morning. Worked a single European (SN3R) on 160 - great signal,
great ears, wow! Echoing the comments made by others out West, I can't thank
enough the JA operators. What would it be like here without you? I'm scared to
even think about it.
There were a couple of changes to the operating environment at K7ZSD. New
switching system rocks! I felt a lot more flexible in my band choices, quick
QSYs, checking the openings, etc. Speaking of QSYs, I thought this was quite
humorous. With a few hours to go in the contest I find lonely HC8N CQing on 20.
I realize that now is the time to get them on 10 I ask if they were there as
well. At first, it's a no, but wait, they are willing to QSY, so it's a yes. I
move to 28060 and work them there, great! Only at that moment I realize that I
still need them on 20 and they are nowhere to be found! I did find them later
for a 6 band sweep, but for a few minutes I thought it might not be. Other
6-banders were KH7X and E51A, thanks!
This was my first serious SO effort using Win-Test. I was trying to get it to
work with a DX Doubler just a couple of hours before the contest because my
previous assumption was incorrect. I finally managed to get separate RX and TX
switching going, but some functionality was still lacking. Overall, I feel that
it's a solid piece of software, but it's hard to make a transition from TR.
As always many thanks to Brad and Ruth for their hospitality and a great time!

73, Denis - K7GK