[3830] CQWW CW ZM2B(ZL2BR) SOSB(A)/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 27 22:57:31 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ZM2B
Operator(s): ZL2BR
Station: ZM2B

Class: SOSB(A)/40 HP
QTH: New Plymouth

   40: 1860    35      110
Total: 1860    35      110  Total Score = 772,125

Went a little harder at it this year and managed to significantly increase my
qso total and score over 2006. Believe its possible to make 1 mil points on
7MHz only from New Zealand. That will be the goal for next year anyway.

Operated in run mode for 99.9 per cent of the time and managed to retain my run
frequencies with only a few problems from rival contesters.

Really excellent participation from JA with 297 contacts, but W/VE was the most
worked area with 741 contacts. Dupe percentage seemed higher than previous
years, with 50 this year. Would rather have had an extra 50 x 3 points. As
expected no contacts were made with western/central/southern Africa with the
short path being via the South Pole.

Many of the rarer Eu mults were just not copyable in ZL, or I couldnt break
through the Eu hordes.

One extremely interesting thing I did notice over the weekend was the complete
absence, on the lower end of 40m at least, of the Chinese OTHR. Could it just
be that because amateur radio is becoming more popular in China the tx's were
switched off for the weekend, or they used non-amateur frequencies. This year I
worked 15 Chinese stations, whereas in last years contest I only worked 6. This
bodes well for the future, in a few years time there may well be more BA
stations active than JA in major contests. SNAFU the past two evenings the OTHR
is back on and 599 all over the lower end of 40m.  Makes you wonder.

Log uploaded to LoTW.

Rig TS-2000, AL-80B, GP plus rx only dipole

73, Frank ZL2BR (ZM2B)