[3830] CQWW CW W6PH SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Nov 27 23:05:52 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W6PH
Operator(s): W6PH
Station: W6PH

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Lone Pine, CA

  160:   21    12       10
   80:   83    23       42
   40:  452    31       90
   20:  509    32      102
   15:  122    19       51
   10:   17     7        7

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:  TS-930S - LK500ZB  CT 9.57

Antennas:  Cushcraft ATB-34 (1978 vintage) on AB-577 at 50 feet
           Cushcraft 40-2CD on AB-577 at 55 feet
           Wire vertical for 80m, base loaded for 160m

I thought conditions were poor for SSB, but these were worse.  160 and 80
seemed noisy and I had a tough time getting answers to my calls.  However, 40m
was as good as I ever remember.  The LP to Europe in the morning was much
better than the SP in the evening.  The opening to Europe on 20m lasted about
one hour in the morning before the signals got real weak.  But there was a lot
of stuff on 20m and most of my operating was S&P except when the bands were
open to JA when I cq'ed.  CQing the last hour resulted in calls from TF8SM
(double mult), LN8W, and OH0E to put me over 100 countries on 20m.  It was
interesting to tune by a packet pileup (where the DX station never gives his
call) and then find some real good stuff a couple kHz away calling CQ with no
answers.  To me, this is the exciting part of these DX contests.  I am not a
big fan of spotting networks.   My station is very low tech, one radio and
fairly simple antennas.  I may never win, but I have a lot of fun with it.
I'll be active as VP9/W6PH in the ARRL DX Contests on CW and SSB.
                              73, Kurt, W6PH