[3830] CQWW CW K5GO M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Nov 28 11:32:50 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5GO
Operator(s): K0OU, K0RO, K0VBU, K5GO, K5KA, K5LG, K5QQ, KC5HVZ, KM5G, N5DX, N5OE, N5RR, N5RZ, N5XR, N7FF, W0UA, W5TM
Station: K5GO

Class: M/M HP
QTH: ARKANSAS

  160:  201    19       66
   80:  659    30      108
   40:  950    38      142
   20: 1343    35      151
   15:  442    29      113
   10:   79    12       29

Antennas:

160M - Phased Verticals (Broadside NE/SW - Endfire NW/SE)
80M  - 4 Square, 4 element wire yagi at 130 feet fixed on Europe (Approximately
80% of all QSOs made using this antenna)
40M  - 5L Yagi (103 foot boom) at 135 feet, 3L Quad fixed on JA, Sloping
Dipole
20M  - 8/8 (114 foot booms) at 146'/73' fixed on Europe, 6L (60 foot
boom)rotary, 2L Quad fixed SE
15M  - 7/7 (56 foot booms) at 90'/45' (bottom one fixed on Europe) 9L Yagi (81
foot boom) fixed on JA, 4L Yagi fixed SE
10M  - 6L at 80 feet

Beverages and other receiving antennas
Rigs - Mostly IC-765 transceivers and AL-1500 amplifiers - 1500W

Pictures and more information at http://www.k5go.com (I'll try to put the live
camera of the 40M yagi in a better position in the next few days.)

A lot of preparation and high hopes but the radio conditions from Arkansas were
just terrible on 40M through 10M.  I knew we were in big trouble when I changed
a radio out on 40M a few evenings before the contest, thinking something had
happened to the front end, only to find out the real problem was the band was
dead.

Many thanks to those who made long trips to operate the station - W0UA, who
came from Colorado, N5RZ and N5OE from Texas, and K0VBU and K0OU who came from
the Kansas City area.  W5TM, N5XR and K5KA came from Oklahoma and many others
from the local area.  Included in the list of operators are some who did not
operate much, if any, but who have worked VERY hard to make the station what it
is.  Even my daughter was out Thursday afternoon for four hours in freezing rain
laying down radials for a new 160M antenna.

W5TM and N5OE were the main operators on 160M and did very well with a new
antenna that needs some additional work but has promise.

N5RR and N5DX worked 80M and had the best score we have ever posted on that
band.  The four element wire yagi worked pretty well.  The highlight was VK9AA
calling in with the Europeans.

W0UA and KM5G were the main operators on 40M and got all that could be had out
of very poor band conditions.  The highlight was a brief long path opening on
Saturday morning to Asia where we worked some juicy multipliers.

N5RZ and K5KA made all the contacts on 20M and did very well staying with it to
get as much out of the band as could possibly be had.

K0VBU, K0OU, N5XR and many of the rest of us took our turns on 15M and 10M
trying to make the best of what we had to work with.

Special thanks to K0RO (formerly KC2G) who spent more time and effort than
operating keeping spirits high by making the best Egg McMuffins and Coffee, and
N5OE who is invaluable in so many ways during the heat of the battle.  Also
special thanks to K5ALU, KM5G, K5KA, K5QQ, K0RO, N5RR, K5LG, N5XR, and N7FF
for all the work to help get everything ready in the months preceding the
contest.

We learned a lot about what needs attention and hopefully will continue to get
better so when the propagation is good we can make the most of it.  My goal is
to have everything in place within the next three years and when 10M opens I
will operate also.

Thank you for the QSOs and spots.

73 & HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL FROM ALL OF US!

Stan, K5GO