[3830] CQWW CW HI3A(@HI3CCP) M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Nov 29 01:56:56 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: HI3A
Operator(s): HI3CCP, AD4Z/HI3A, K1TO, K8NZ, N4GI, N4TO
Station: HI3CCP

Class: M/2 HP
QTH:

  160:   457    18       64
   80:  1355    25      107
   40:  3229    33      132
   20:  3288    37      147
   15:  2240    30      119
   10:   231    18       33
-------------------------------

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Thanks to Constantino, HI3CCP and his support crew for providing a VFB QTH.  See
lomadeltoro.com for details.  The view from on top of the ridge is terrific, and
the extensive tower/antenna/station work has really paid off, making it a Killer
Station!  Thanks also to Carl, WC4H and Johan, ON4IQ for valuable pre-contest
assistance.  Julio, AD4Z/HI3A has operated SOABLP from this location in recent
years with very solid results, including a 3rd place finish last year.

(3) FT-1000MP
(2) TL-922, L4B, ALS-600
CTWIN 10.03.002

160 - Inverted vee
80 - 2L wire beam NNE, fixed dipole
40 - 2L rotary, fixed dipole
20 - 4L Stepp-IR rotary, 5L fixed NW
15 - 5L rotary
10 - 7L rotary

Power from generators on site.  We apologize for the chirpy 15-meter signal on
Sunday - a result of hasty equipment shuffling after an apparent computer
issue.

It was a busy week leading up to the contest, with antenna/rotator repairs
needed from hurricane damage, plus rearranging a few antennas.  We chose a M/2
setup that dedicated 2 bands each to 3 stations to simplify antenna switching.

The HI3 hospitality was tremendous!  We attended a Dominican winter league
baseball game, since 4 of the 5 Florida ops are big baseball fans.  HI3CCP's
sister-in-law is from the US and hosted a fabulous and elegant USA-style
Thanksgiving dinner.  With all the great food and Presidente cervezas (better
than their exported version) during the trip, K1TO's nickname became "Uno
Mas".

N4TO fractured his foot and required a hospital visit for casting, but
otherwise the team had no serious mishaps.  We were thankful to not have to
drive in the hectic traffic in the DR!

Operators are all members of the Florida Contest Group:
- Julio, AD4Z/HI3A lived in the D.R. for much of his life and now resides in SE
FL.  Operating almost exclusively LP CW, Julio has racked up some very solid
finishes from HI3.
- Vic, N4TO has extensive DXpedition experience and is a co-holder of the World
M/S and NA M/S records.  Vic's fluency in Spanish was invaluable as well.
- Ron, K8NZ was recently to PJ2 and was a member of the winning K8AZ operation
last November.  Ron retired to SW Florida recently.
- Blake, N4GI has developed a solid set of skills both on the air and on
towers.  He's been licensed since 1995 and at age 33 has lots of good efforts
ahead of him.  Lightning damaged his home station a few months ago,
unfortunately.  Blake has operated from ZF1A and NQ4I.
- Dan, K1TO has enjoyed lots of contest DXpeditions and has been fortunate to
be a part of some winning teams.  ;<)

At least we got some 10-meter opening on Sunday as over 90% of our QSOs were on
that second day.

                    160   80   40   20   15   10  ALL   percent
North America   CW  418 1029 1599 1653 1350  203 6252    55.8
South America   CW    9   28   27   38   35   22  159     1.4
Europe          CW   37  337 1546 1468  866    3 4257    38.0
Asia            CW    0   23  126  196   16    0  361     3.2
Africa          CW    5   15   24   32   26    8  110     1.0
Oceania         CW    3    8   25   14   19    1   70     0.6

No JA or KL7 on 15M.  Never managed to work the S79UU group - and even missed
S7/K9NW!

We were impressed by the level of M/2 competition.  Despite what should be a
new NA record, we will not likely make "the box", as HC8N, EF8M, D4C (assumed),
PJ2T, PJ4A and P3F will all finish ahead of us.  Congratulations to those teams
for fine efforts!  Congratulations also to the ZF1A crew who had set the NA M/2
record last year and broke it themselves this year!  Who needs sunspots?!

Look for HI3A again this weekend in the ARRL 160 Contest as he will defend his
SOLP title!

Thanks to all for the QSOs and to so many for making trips to rare locations
for the best annual CW contest by far!  I hope to work many of you in the ARRL
10-Meter Contest, conditions permitting.

Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Happy Holidays from all of us!

73, Dan, K1TO
President, FCG