[3830] CQWW CW H7/K9NW(@YN2N) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Fri Nov 30 11:38:47 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: H7/K9NW
Operator(s): K9NW
Station: YN2N

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Nicaragua

  160:  213    12       42
   80:  655    22       65
   40: 1278    23       90
   20: 1494    27       87
   15: 1512    22       92
   10:  189    15       26

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Yet another contest trip put together on relatively short notice.  I don't
necessarily recommend this approach but sometimes things just work out.  It
certainly helps to operate from a station with fully functioning antennas.
Within 15 minutes of showing up at the house I was 100% QRV.  Time to make
QSOs!

Equipment:
   IC-746 (non-PRO version)  100w

Antennas:
   10/15/20  -  A3S Tribander @~60'
   40/80/160  -  Inv V dipoles from top of tower

The location is very quiet.

My only goal/strategy for the event was to try and make a bunch of QSOs and
hand out the H7 (YN) mult to as many as possible on all bands.  Spent very
little time tuning for mults but ultimately a decent number found me and I
ended up with a reasonable score to boot.

Nice 10m W/VE opening Sunday morning.  VQ9LA and other Africans also very loud
there about this time.  Around 17-18z on Sunday both 15 and 20 pretty much
dropped out to EU.  (TM2Y, usually very prominent, was only s6 on 20.)  So I
went into full-on "ARRL DX mode" for the next few hours going back and forth
between the two bands working lots of W/VE.  Finished up in the 23z hour on
40m.

Every contest has a few of those special moments and this one was no
exception:

  -  160m Saturday evening sounded like 20m for a while with VERY loud EU
stations across the band.  OM7M called in and was an honest S9+30dB!  (That's
with no pre-amp.)
  -  K1AR and HK1AR called in at the same time in one instance.
  -  K1AX and K2AX called in at the same time in another instance.
  -  Was actually before the contest but one station said I was only his 5th
ever HF QSO and first ever DX QSO!  (That's kinda cool!)

I may be a contender for semi-strange call of the weekend.

Thanks to all the ops around the world that make this the most exciting
operating event of the year!  And very special thanks to Octavio and Martha
Miranda for welcoming me into their home, making me feel like part of the
family, keeping me well fed, and providing a wonderful opportunity to enjoy
another CQWW contest.

See y'all next time.

73, Mike H7/K9NW