[3830] CaQP W0BH SOFixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 8 15:40:11 EDT 2007

                    California QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: SOFixed HP
QTH: KS

  160:   11      2
   80:   37     95
   15:    1      0
--------------------

After my Tow Truck Mobile experience in the Texas QSO Party (see TXQP 3830
post), it felt good to sit at home this weekend! Conditions were terrific from
Kansas to California both days (except for 15m) and the cold front and
thunderstorms held off just long enough to not be a factor.

It's always fun to see how close we get to the "1st to 58 CA Cnty" record set
by W8MJ. At 20:07Z, I was 3 short and got INYO a few minutes later. TEHAMA took
awhile, but eventually worked N6RNO on 3 bands which left COLUSA. And that
seemed to be the theme for this CQP .. where was Colusa?

Others seemed to have the same problem and I wasn't the only one to suggest to
nearby county hams as I worked them that they might enjoy a trip to Colusa and
become "rare DX." It sounds like two headed over and set up a dipole on
Saturday night, but I didn't find them and I'll let them tell that story. I
also heard that K6AQL/M was heading that direction and later worked them in
YUBA only two counties over.  When I finally pulled the plug on Day 1, however,
Colusa was still not in the log. Only one 15m Q went in the log on Saturday
although I tried a few more but just wasn't heard .. signals were skipping
right over Kansas.

Sunday conditions were if anything, even better than Saturday.  At 1524Z, N6MU
made my day and the sweep by calling in as K6AQL/M in Colusa (John knew it,
too!). Later, I worked W6BO / W6JND who also mobiled over to Colusa, and W6VNQ
called in with a #2 from Colusa as well. A big THANKS to ALL the mobiles,
expeditions and fixed county ops for the extra effort put in to make the CQP
such an enjoyable event.

There is a noticeably larger pool of HF ops out there now.  I worked 635 unique
calls, many of them (eventually) reporting #1. Some of them apologized for not
being in the "contest" when they heard my report, but a short chat later they
learned what to say and tried it again.  I know because I also got lots of #2s
and thank the rest of you for being patient as well. Some of them were having
so much fun that they called back in on Sunday thinking they could work me
again on the same band since it was a new day. Can't fault the enthusiasm!

Here are the top Q counts, both /M and fixed.  I included all the /M stations I
worked in more than one county. The mobiles marked with ** were just travelling
and answered my CQ. They continued to check in as they crossed county lines and
hopefully gave the rest of you some Qs as well.

8 N6O
6 K6VO
6 NM6U/M    **
6 W6PT
6 K6AQL/M   loudest mobile award
5,4 many ...
4 KS5A/M
3 K6KWB/M
3 W6YUM/M   **
2 WB6GGY/M  **
2 W6KPO/M
2 N6KZW/M

County totals:

84 SDIE
79 LANG
75 SCLA
50 ORAN
34 SBER
29 RIVE ALAM
26 SONO
24 VENT NEVA
23 CCOS
22 SACR FRES SCRU
21 SMAT
20 SJOA
16 SBAR PLAC
15 ELDO MONT SOLA
14 CALA KERN SLUI SHAS
12 SBEN SFRA
11 IMPE SISK MARN SUTT STAN MONO
10 MODO MERC YUBA
9  HUMB TULA MADE TUOL
8  AMAD BUTT
7  ALPI KING
6  INYO LAKE MARP YOLO
5  TRIN DELN PLUM NAPA SIER
4  COLU MEND
3  TEHA
2  LASS GLEN

Special thanks to the NCCC for sponsoring the pre-CQP practice sessions and for
putting this all together so successfully once again.

Next weekend is part of Fall Break here at Hesston College, so I'll be camping
in Oklahoma during the PAQP. I'll try to operate from the van if I get it back
from the shop in time. Still no word on what caused it not to start during the
TXQP.

73, Bob, w0bh