[3830] TBDC VE3NE Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Oct 21 22:50:30 EDT 2007

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: VE3NE
Operator(s): VE3NE
Station: VE3NE

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Toronto

Total:  QSOs = 151  Total Score = 453

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Hi,

I live in the City and noise is pretty bad here. I live on the main floor so I
built a shack in the boiler room on top of the building. Last year new boilers
were installed and they make awful RF noise. Paul, VE3TA helped me to install a
few Corcom line filters and that helped quite bit. This year Bell Canada
installed three cellular antennas on the roof and all three elevators have been
replaced with brand new digitally controlled system and that sucks.
I already ordered more line filters to attack the noise they generate while
they moving.
The noise level on 160m is S9 plus all the time. I have to use separate RX ant.
I had K9AY, mini beverage and all kind of wires but none of them were quiet
enough. During this contest I was using a coax loop RX ant. I got the idea from
Bob, GU4YOX's website. I was very happy with the performance of the loop. There
was very little noise (except from the elevators. If someone using the elevator
from the main floor all the way to the 19th I am in trouble...:-)
Condx was bad to EU and not so bad to W6/7. I got few nice calls to my 100W cq
like: LA9Z, SM6MCW, LA0CX, KH6LC, VE7IG, VE7CC and a few W6/7.
If you have noise problems in the City I recommend trying the coax loop. It
might going to work for you too. You can find the complete description on Bob's
web page at: http://www.gu4yox.com/
See you again during the season.

73

Lali  VE3NE / HA9RX