[3830] CQWW SSB K4LY SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Oct 29 19:41:29 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: SC EM85

  160:   43    14       27
   80:  160    21       69

Club: Carolina DX Assn

Comments:

Taking 3 1/2 hours out to watch my Colorado Rockies Saturday night almost ruined
the contest for me!  However, the CQWW is just too much fun for
disappointments.  After last year's field day style wire antennas and a
10/15/20 trap dipole which astonishingly placed 6th SOLP USA (with my old call
W0AH), I had hoped to get the TH7 up by this fall.  It didn't happen, but the
53' Hygain Hytower was up, and I decided to play low band (and QRO, which I
seldom do).  Earlier this month, I found that a 160M 1/4 wl 35 degree slopping
wire from the base of the Hytower to the 70' level (and beyond 30' to my 55'
VHF tower) worked OK on 160 and didn't screw up the other bands. Problem was-
so far, only 25 50' radials on 75 and only 4 100' radials on 160M partly
because the road is 40'south of the Hytower and my house is 50' north of the
Hytower.  However, it worked pretty well, and I met my motivation goal of
squeaking into the top 6, SO SB HP both 160 and 75, based on LAST year's
scores. For receive, the pair of flag antennas worked pretty well- much better
than the transmit antennas, but I sure miss those beverages I had in CO! I like
to compare the SC 8/10ths of an acre lot and antennas with the Colorado 5 acres
and my W0AH antenna farm. In 1999, I did a similar 20 hour SOHP 75M SSB CQWW
effort.  Using a better antenna, a delta loop, my 75M score there was 75  19
41, good enough for 5th USA.  Of course, there was less low band interest then
(and probably poorer conditions)at the top of the cycle. Also, Europe is very
difficult to work from Colorado as JA is difficult to work from here on SSB (I
worked one JA).  This weekend, I probably should have attempted some runs, but
all those years of LP and QRP make me a pretty good S+P'er, so that's what I
did.
Thanks for the contacts and the fun.  CU in the SS, WW CW and 160M test, but
next year I hope to be watching the victorious Rockies and therefore probably
will again do a limited WW phone effort as, alas, will be my WW CW next month
when the mother-in-law is visiting.
Doug K4LY  Inman SC EM85wb