[3830] CQWW SSB K4XD SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Oct 30 17:43:09 EST 2007

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K4XD
Operator(s): K4XD
Station: K4XD

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: Raleigh, NC

  160:   21     5       11
   80:   63    13       32
   40:   24    15       21
   20:  167    19       72
   15:  236    23       91
   10:   76    11       30

Icom 756ProII, THP amp usually running abt 800 watts, inv el on 160M, K1JEK
Cobra Ultralights on 40 and 80, homebrew hexbeam up 35 feet on 20-15-10.

I didn't think I would operate that many hours but once the score crossed 200K
I kept thinking "just break the next 50K barrier."  The points mount up faster
and faster so it's hard to stop!  Had several social obligations through the
weekend so missed Friday and Sunday evenings.

I tried running a few times but never could get any rate going so stuck to S&P.
 15M was less crowded and more productive than 20M for me.  10M was better on
Saturday than Sunday.  Several stations were loud on 160M but seemed to have
local QRN - lots of us calling but they weren't hearing anyone.

After starting to get hoarse, I played with the voice keyer on the Icom and
managed to get it going well enough by Sunday that I could do about 70% of the
Q's that way.  Not sure it really mattered but if the op didn't get my complete
call the first time he answered the voice keyer, I switched back to yelling into
the mike.  The part of my call that people seemed to miss the most was the first
letter, coming back with "Whiskey Four Xray Delta" or just "Four Xray Delta"
about 20% of the time.  Probably just QRM.  My family appreciated the voice
keyer approach!  I think they like CW and RTTY tests better so they don't have
to listen to me hollering "Kilo Four Xray Delta" all weekend!

The Tokyo Hy Power amp held up well, although it would often fault out on 160M
even though my SWR meter was showing 1.1:1.  Dragged the AL 80B out of the
closet and hooked it up for 160M and had no problems.  At times you can't beat
the old technology...  I think I'll find some space for it on the operating
desk so I can use it on 160M all the time.

Made some DXCC progress with 31 new entity-bands and 9 new entity-modes.  Happy
to get C50C on 80M, managed to log them and C52C on all bands 160-10 except 12.

Thanks to all for the Q's and fun.  Last year I only made about 39K points in
this one so nice to raise the bar, although I suppose that means next year I
have to clear my calendar even more for the weekend!  Looking forward to SS and
CQ WW CW.