[3830] NA Sprint CW K4RO HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Sep 9 12:32:51 EDT 2007

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: K4RO
Operator(s): K4RO
Station: K4RO

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: TN

---------------------

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Team: Southeast Sprint Coalition

Comments:

Phil was very well represented.  I sure do miss his snappy fist and
world-class smile. Thanks again for being a beacon of contesting OM.

Good to be back in the Sprint, but frustrating to not break 300!
Congratulations to the SO2R masters in this contest, which I am NOT.
This was my first Sprint without my beloved TR-Log, and despite the
NCCC practice, I still made several mistakes.

First, I had my CQ exchange set to PHIL but my S&P exchange set to
KIRK. It took me about 10 QSOs to figure this out. I hope Tree's
log checking wizard with not ding anybody in my 1st 10 QSOs.
Second, I spent the first 45 minutes on 20m using a 4BTV instead
of the stack!  This happened despite the shiny "Antenna Nexus"
indicator box I built last year.  D'OH!  K5NZ's Butternut post
made me laugh.  Finally, I had the dang AGC off for the first
hour!  I though something was wrong with the IC-781. Checked the
NB and AGC KNOB, but missed the AGC BUTTON, which toggles it on
and off.  Man, what a rookie mistake!

I only used one radio, and made maybe a half-dozen band changes.
I had the second radio on-line, but I just can't manage SO2R in
the Sprint yet, save for quicker band changes. I couldn't manage
it under TR-Log, and I'm no better with N1MM Logger. The biggest
problem is the visible dupe sheet. I can't seem to force myself
to look at it.  I had it open the whole contest and don't think I
ever even glanced at it. Guess I'm Too used to having the computer
do it for me. You old timers who used paper dupe sheets probably
have a (rightfully earned) skill with a real edge there.
The fun did not last on 80 meters.  I ran out of stations to work
and had my worst hour in #4, instead of #3.  I should have spent
more time on 20, and used the beams instead of the 4BTV.
This contests really separates the boys from the men, better
than any other contest, IMHO.  Congrats to all of the players
willing to give it a whirl.

p.s.  Don't forget the Tennessee QSO Party TODAY from 1800-0300z.
ALL 95 COUNTIES will be activated, for the first time ever, I think.

73

-Kirk  K4RO