[3830] NA Sprint CW W1NN LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Sep 11 11:52:42 EDT 2007

                    NA Sprint CW Contest

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH

---------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: MRRC+NCC

Comments:

TS-930 and G5RV @ 35'.

First time operating a Sprint from the (somewhat) new QTH.  Antenna had been
knocked down by a storm in June and I finally repaired it Sat afternoon. I
figured I could make at least 225 contacts with this setup but it wasn't to be,
in spite of what seemed to be good condx and less QRN than expected.  20 was
brutal and if anyone else was calling I had little chance of getting through.
A few stations couldn't hear me even when nobody else was calling.  40 and 80
were much better and I even had quite a few answers to QSO's.  I remember
getting beat in the piles at least three times on different bands by W8UE.  The
final insult was reading later that he was operating from his car with a mobile
antenna! I guess I have some work to do.  On the plus side, this was one of my
best mult totals ever I think.  Heard but didn't work PEI, NV, and I think one
more.  Working WAS in the Sprints is very much possible now.  Too bad there
isn't more non-US N.A. activity.

Recently I have been working very few Ohio or neighboring state stations in the
Sprints.  With the long skip on 80, I wonder if it wouldn't be a good idea for
us Midwesterners to start out on 80 to make sure we work each other.

Sure missed working Phil.  I had a nice dinner with him in Japan not that long
ago.  He was a very nice man and one of the best CW ops on the planet.  RIP old
friend.

Love the CW Sprint.

73, Hal W1NN