[3830] WPX SSB P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Apr 1 10:21:21 EDT 2008

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: P49Y

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: aRUBA

   20: 1658
   15: 1461

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Kind of a tough contest this time, with fewer EU than last year (mults down by
10%), and substantial power line noise for good parts of the contest.  But
score is up 2% over last year due to many more 80 and 40 QSOs.

  We did a lot of tower/antenna replacement at the P40L-P49Y station in
February (thanks W6LD, W0YK, N6BT, P43A) and have all new Force 12 antennas on
new towers.  Unfortunately, we didn't quite get it all done, so there was some
work left for me, most notably tuning the Sigma 180s 80m dipole, which is side
mounted on the tower.  It worked really well, and for the first time, I
actually felt reasonably loud on 80.

As usual, contesting on Aruba is also about socializing, this trip with P40V,
P41YL, P43A, P43C, P43JB, P43L.  A great local group!

  Rig:  K3, Pro2, Alpha 87A, 86
  Ant: 2 el 10, 5 el 15 (this is one antenna, no kidding), 4 el 20, 2 el 40, 1
el 80
  Software: CQPWIN, ver. 11.0
  Thanks to everyone for the Qs and the many repeats required due to QRM and
QRN.
  73, Andy, AE6Y, P49Y