[3830] MiQP K8GU Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Apr 20 23:59:45 EDT 2008

                    Michigan QSO Party

Call: K8GU
Operator(s): K8GU
Station: K8GU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL

   80:   25      0
   40:   68     26
   20:    0      0
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:   93     26  CW Mults = 49  Ph Mults = 23  Total Score = 15,264

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Equipment:  2X TS-930SAT+PIEXX, 80-meter dipole at 45 feet, 40-meter dipoles at
40 (E/W) and 25 (SE/NW) feet, 150-foot B.O.G.

After the first four hours, I thought I had a good chance at working all the
counties.  Hubris.  No sooner had I made that decision, 40 went long and 80
still had too much absorption for the mobiles.  I heard W8AV working W3USA on
80...and I knew it was going to be a tough one.  So, I relaxed and dabbled the
rest of the day, which was a lot less pressure.  I was pretty certain my county
record would be in danger from listening to some of the high QSO numbers from
out of state.  From the sounds of it, almost everybody out of state had the
long-40 problem; so, hopefully, it'll be safe another year.

Thanks for the QSOs and QSYs!  I think I only missed one move with K8BB because
we landed right on a loud fixed station.  Both K8BB and W3USA were very
responsive to move requests.  Thanks, guys!

Interesting observation:  As 40 went long, the UP guys were still workable and
the lower dipole was better for them.

I'm looking forward to some short skip to go after the sweep again!  Thanks to
everyone who got on to make this contest fun...

73,

--Ethan, K8GU/9.
http://www.k8gu.com/