[3830] OnQP VE3CRU/R Mobile Multi-Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Apr 22 20:57:16 EDT 2008

                    Ontario QSO Party

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU, VE3ADJ
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Mobile Multi-Op LP
QTH: 12 counties
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   13      4     15
   80:    6     12     18
   40:    1      0      1
   20:    0      3      3
   15:    0      0      0
   10:    1      1      2
    6:    2      8     10
    2:    3     43     36
---------------------------
Total:   26     71     85  Total Score = 23,400

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Final Score includes 3,000 bonus points from qualifying in KAW, PET, DUR, TOR,
YRK, PEL, HTN, WEL, BRA, BFD.  Missed out in NOR and HAM (hard to believe).
Worked the 10 point stations 13 times.

The contest started out bad, as I discovered enroute to KAW that my 40M Hustler
whip had fallen off the vehicle and new mount.  Was counting on 40 as a prime
band.  Switched to 80, we heard several loud stations but the prop was one way
or the angle of radiation bad, for not heard by any.  Got rolling on 2 meters.
Only 3 dx heard and worked in PET on 20.  NOR zero.  A good supper got me back
on track, as I always do good at TOR-YRK-DUR areas.  The Valor 160 whip behaved
very well tuning on cw and ssb ends of the band, had both 75 and 80 whips.  Shut
down after midnight.  Biggest error was failing to change batteries after 6-7
hours as I had enough battery power to last the weekend but the power had
dropped considerably with final voltage 11.7 no load.  Charged fully
overnight.

Sunday, dashed across TOR to start in PEL.  Always slow at 8 am but got 4.  On
to HTN, got 8 Q's, better.  WEL was best for the day with 10 Q's, HAM a
surprise 1 only at 1501Z.  BRA got 6 Q's, including a lucky find of a ham sag
wagon ahead of orange cones on the roadway, a turning point for cyclists in an
event.  He informed me that cyclist VE3JNJ was on 146.460 so caught him then
worked the sag wagon as he took off, VE3KMW.  BFD found 7 qso's.  From HAM to
the end it was all 2 and 6 meter contacts.

Only Rovers in the log are VE3TQT/R, VA3OPN/R.  Learned later that VE3KKP/R was
doing well till tranny problems at Hamilton made them QRT Saturday evening, most
unfortunate as they were doing so good.

Everything gained this year was from perseverance, not from best performance.

Many thanks to all who gave us points, and to all who entered the contest,
especially the many newbies both as Rovers and base stations.  A special thanks
to Don Cassell VE3XD, Brian Campbell VE3MGY and all in CCO who work so hard to
bring the contest from advisory to completion and awards.

73,  Bill VE3CRU/R and Bob VE3ADJ