[3830] WPX SSB KQ2M SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Apr 30 19:49:06 EDT 2008

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KQ2M
Operator(s): KQ2M
Station: KQ2M

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: CT

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I was very disappointed to miss last years WPXSSB due to a serious illness.   It
was only the 2nd time I had missed operating in this contest in 33 years!

This was a part-time effort in a rebuilding year, but with only 10 and 15 meter
working antennas it was hard to get much going.

15 meters repeatedly teased opening to EU, but only two sigs ever got above S2,
CT1ILT who was S9 for an hour! and another CT1.  I worked only about another 6
or 7 EU stations, all at ESP level, even the normally loud EA's!  I did however
manage to have a modest African run which included 9UXEV, EL2AR, ZS3AOR, ZS9P
and a few other ZS stations.  Even with healthy stacks and a good location, you
can't do much on 15 from CT with 0 sunspots and a K index of 3!

20 and 40 were pretty frustrating - even being "fresh meat" didn't raise much
interest.  I was just too weak with seriously broken antennas.

80 was a lot more fun.  Even though the Inv L 4-ssquare was barely recognizable
with only 3 radials due to repeated ice storms, it was still good enough to be
heard.

I hope to be fully rebuilt and ready to go next year.  I really miss making a
full effort in my favorite contest with all the unpredictable and wild band
openings and exotic prefixes to be worked!

Tnx for the q's and 73!

Bob KQ2M
kq2m at earthlink.net