[3830] NAQP CW VE7CC Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 3 03:00:07 EDT 2008

                    North American QSO Party, CW

Call: VE7CC
Operator(s): VE7CC
Station: VE7CC

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: BC

  160:   12     7
   10:   11     2
-------------------
Total:  706   148  Total Score = 104,488

Club: British Columbia DX Club

Team:

Comments:

I checked out the bands Saturday morning at 1600Z to see how they were doing.
On 20 meters, in SSB position, S9 +20 power line noise to the NW on 20 and S7
to the east or south.  Other bands also in bad shape with lots of noise.  I
checked the power lines on my street.  The problem was located. It was in front
of my next door neighbor's house.   One of the low voltages lines had wrapped
around the neutral in the wind.  It was arcing.  Continuous noise.  I was
almost ready to call it quits.  I called the power company, but didn't really
expect anything to happen very quickly.

With the noise blankers in the FT1000D and K3 I could cut the noise down quite
a bit.  I got on at 1800Z.  Signals on 20 were weak.  I could work most
callers, but there were many that I simply could not pull out of the noise.
Frustrated, I took a break at 2030Z.  Back on at 2107Z.  Power goes off at
2117Z.  I thought that was the end.  I went outside to see what the power line
looked like now.  I found the power company had turned the power off and was
fixing the fault.  Power back on at 2125Z.  I was so excited that now I could
finally hear things, I got right back on.  If I had thought about it, I should
have taken another full 30 minute break instead of losing 8 minutes.

10 only opened to W6 and W7ZR in Arizona.  2 mults on 10, 11 Qs
15 was poor.  Signals were weak.  27 mults, 74 Qs
20 just kept going and going.  52 mults, 410 Qs. 5 Ele KLM mono at 100 ft.
Works well.
40/80/160 had a huge amount of QRN.  With my beverages, I could hear many more
than I could work.

First time I have really used SO2R.  Quite a learning experience.  Lots of
fun.

Lee