[3830] WAE CW IO4T(IZ3EYZ) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Aug 11 18:58:09 EDT 2008

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: IO4T
Operator(s): IZ3EYZ
Station: IO4T

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Modena

   80:   84    40    34
   40:  288   495    61
   20:  405   975    67
   15:  145   276    43
   10:   48    22    26
-------------------------
Total:  970  1808   591  Total Score = 1,640,616

Operating downtown Modena with rooftop ants and the usual load of nearby
industrial environments and buildings.

At the end of the game the result is well over my expectations compared to the
other EU competitors and I don't regret I didn't stay at the seaside! I was
almost close to quit the contest on Saturday morning cos I was dead tired and
some 150 Qs behind the big guns. Then after a few hours sleeping, a shower and
lunch (coffee included) I was back in business and ready to struggle once
again.

I had to jump back and forth all the time with lots of S&Ping since the station
didn't allow to park a CQ machine somewhere and work packet pile-ups at the 1st
call compared to the other guys at some of the top notch EU stations. A big
station allows to cover the operator lackness (especially a tired one) while an
average station needs a fresh one.

Anyhow for the 1st time ever in a WAE I felt I was doing the right thing
focusing on QTCs and mults without falling too much behind on Qs nr. The 2nd
night I started to check DR1A online scoreboard which provided valuable
feedback about my score (1st time ever enjoyed having internet at a contest
stn).

On the other hand it looks like if I was operating with the usual hilltop and
hardware advantage from IR4X I could easily win it :-)
It needed a lot of mental energy not to give up on mults packet pileups and
wait until the big boys worked them.

Although operating IO4T in WAE was an agreement to check if the station could
be competitive in a dx contest, I would like to thank the guys over there for
opening their station to me and allowing to use some of their hardware plus
rewiring their setup for SO2R operation.

So I would to thank IZ4EFN, IK4XCL, IZ4JMA, IK4VET, IZ4NQI, IZ2AMS and others.

STN A: FT-1000MP + AL1500
STN B: MKV field + AL1200 (not delivering more than 700-800w)
10m: 4/4L
15m: 5L hy-gain 155
20m: 5L hy-gain 205
40m: 3L linear loaded (SWR 3:1 7000-7010; SWR >2:1 7010-7020) 1st night 100w
only under 7020, 2nd night used an external tuner to use the amp there.
80m: 1/4wl vertical (SWR 2:1)

RX ants: BVGs to N/W, N/E, E-W unterminated, K9AY.

Murphy was away almost the whole weekend visiting only for a couple of power
outages (missing abt 30mins of operating time) and RF getting into 40-20m
control box when TXing on 80m (antennas turned to 210°). That's why I lost a
bit when the contest started as I was running NA on 20/40m beaming SA. Solved
it switching off the control box when TXing on 80.

A minor glitch affected the two networked PCs cos QTCs logged on PC 1 didn't
show up on PC 2 although the other way was working.

Congrats to all the guys around Europe making the event really hot this year!

Will see in late Aug/early Sep. if I have no duties for WAE SSB to operate from
4O3A otherwise will come back on air for CQWWs.

Matt.EYZ