[3830] WAE CW N5DX Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Aug 13 08:30:02 EDT 2008

                    WAE DX Contest, CW

Call: N5DX
Operator(s): N5DX
Station: N5DX

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AR

   80:   27    10    72
   40:  269   271   108
   20:  489   558    92
   15:   51     0    40
   10:    3     0     4
-------------------------
Total:  843   839   316  Total Score = 530,564

I was only able to put in 25 hours due to other obligations throughout the
weekend.  Conditions seemed decent the first 24 hours.  The last 24 hours were
terrible though.  Sunday morning there were only a few Europeans on 20 and all
of the U.S. was loud including the close in stuff like Texas.  Usually those
guys are  nearly in audible here.  For some reason though I was getting more
answer to CQs on 15 than I was on 20.  All the Europeans were dirt weak on 15,
but fortunately the band was super quiet.  The biggest thrill was working F5IN
and a couple of Spain stations on 10 meters.  It was also fun breaking through
a pileup of East coast stations to IT9BLB on 15 meters.  On the other hand I
got beat out to a DL on 15 by N5AW who was running low power.  Timing is just
as important as signal strength.

I bought a Creative Zen V Plus MP3 Player to record contests.  It is one of the
few MP3 players out there with a line in jack.  It really worked well and is
much simpler than having an extra computer for recording audio.  If anyone is
interested in one then go to the Creative website, where you can find re
manufactured ones for a good deal.

Looking forward to the WAE SSB contest where I plan to put in a full time
effort.

73,

Kevin/N5DX