[3830] NAQP SSB N6WG Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Aug 17 17:55:03 EDT 2008

                    North American QSO Party, SSB

Call: N6WG
Operator(s): N6WG
Station: N6WG

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Newark CA

  160:    3     1
   80:   24     3
   40:   18     9
   20:   62    29
   15:    2     1
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  109    43  Total Score = 4,687

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team: Puget Sounders

Comments:

Not exactly my finest hour :-)  First time out using N1MM, and had the usual
newbie start-up problems, but eventually got them resolved.  I ran a simple
audio line from my laptop to my K3 and used VOX the whole contest.  No control
leads to bother with.  However, I think I'll add a PTT line next time, and
avoid having my breathing trip the VOX :-)  Real nuisance, that.

Conditions were not very good, as others have pointed out.  About 0300, things
got so noisy that I decided it wasn't worth my while to sit there and take it.
I only had 71 Qs in the log, and it didn't look like I'd break 100 at that
point.  So I took some extra break time to read the N1MM manual for a bit.
It has a lot of stuff to digest, too much for one sitting.

At 0415 I went back out to the shack to see if the noise level had backed off
some.  It had dropped enough that I could get back on and start making QSOs
again.  Actually I had my two best hours in 0400 and 0500.

I was able to work KL7 and KH6 early in the contest.  With those exceptions,
no NA DX was heard or worked, and only one VE3 and one VE7.  Heard no others.

I've decided to put some time in working on low noise receiving antennas
again.
My big Flag loop didn't do as well as it has in the past.  The noise must have
been coming from the same direction as the desired signals.  It sounded more
like atmospheric QRN than residential noise.  First up will be an on-ground 40m
SOAPBOX: dipole as a test case.  It's small enough I can move it around our lot,
looking for the quietest location.

Anyway, it was my first chance to use voice keying, and sure did save my
voice.
I'll be using it from now on in all voice contests, hopefully with a bit more
skill :-)

Thanks for the Qs.  See you all in the next contest.
73, Bob N6WG
The Little Station with Attitude