[3830] OhQP K8MR/M Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Aug 26 21:26:18 EDT 2008

                    Ohio QSO Party

Call: K8MR/M
Operator(s): K8MR, W8DRZ
Station: K8MR/M

Class: Mobile LP
QTH: 28 counties

   80:  204     27
   40:  311     33
   20:  129      7
--------------------
Total:  644     67  CW Mults = 69  Ph Mults = 27  Total Score = 130,080

Club: Northern Ohio DX Association

Comments:

By county, in order of appearance:

         CW   SSB
CARR     26    3
TUSC     16    1
HARR     38    0
GUER     44    0
BELM     34    5
MONR     28    5
NOBL     38    0
MUSK     27    0
MORG     40   12
PERR     27    5
HOCK     18    3
FAIR     16    3
PICK     36    3
FAYE     18    4
MADI     25    2
CLAR     26    0
CHAM     12    2
UNIO     16    3
LOGA     18    1
HARD     30    1
WYAN     13    2
MARI     10    2
CRAW     21    4
MORR      5    0
RICH     27    5
ASHL     20    1
WAYN      8    1
MEDI      7    0

Mults:
States   45    21
Counties 24     6

This was our second trip in the Honda Fit, downsizing from the 1996 Ford
Windstar. Despite its small size and Electric Power Steering RFI, it worked out
pretty well. After two weeks with a sore back after the first trip in the
Michigan QSO Party, this time I took a pillow to sit on and came out just fine.
The antenna configuration was 80CW, 40, 20, and 15 (zero qsos) on the Hustler at
the back, 75 SSB on the HamStick on the front. That gave us both 75 and 80 all
day, which was worth several qsos and Ohio county multipliers.

Conditions were OK but not great. I kept the rate around 60/hour most of the
day, but conditions took a noticable dip from about 22z to 00z, with in state
stations becoming weak even on 80 meters. QRN levels were normal for summer,
nearly as bad as last year. Not many signals were booming, so there were few
moves from CW to SSB for new multipliers.  But there was the occasional big
signal, including GW4BLE on 20ssb and F2YT on 40 CW.

The only technical problem occurred when W8DRZ decided to answer a non-contest
CQ on 146.52 FM. Enough 2 meter RF was picked up on the 40 meter antenna to
convince the tuner in the IC-746 that the reflected power was too high, causing
it to cut back to basically zero power.  I convinced him to quickly QRT, which
solved that problem.

The Michelin Guide report of the weekend comes from the McDonald's in Ashville
(Pickaway county). Driver W8DRZ stopped for a bathroom break, only to discover
there was no toilet paper in the men's room.  He found a manager who also found
none in the ladies' room, nor anywhere else in the restaurant. So Jim solved the
problem by grabbing a napkin dispenser from the counter to take into the rest
room, where he graciously left if for the next poor person in need.  No idea if
the TP shipment has arrived since.

Thanks to all who participated. Like every other contester in the world, we are
eagerly awaiting some sunspots!

73  -  Jim   K8MR