[3830] CQWW CW EY8MM SOSB/80 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 06:56:58 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: EY8MM
Operator(s): EY8MM
Station: EY8MM

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: MM48
Operating Time (hrs):

   80: 2059    35      120
Total: 2059    35      120  Total Score = 818,865

Club: ATCC

Comments:

Station:
IC-775DSP
ACOM 2000A
Bi-Square North-South @ 55 m Tower
Bi-Square East-West @ 55 m Tower
Vertical Quad with reflector Screen NW
320 m Beverage NW-SE (rever.)
160 m Beverage AF-JA (rever.)
160 m Beverage North

My main goal was to beat my 2003 score. My setup was improved since than and I
was really ready to fight with myself. EY is too far from populated areas so it
is almost impossible to be competitive World Wide. Polar pass to NA, 5000 km to
most ham-populated EU countries, 6000 km to JA (one-pointers), mountains around
make contesting is very challenging. May be that is why I like it so much!

Weather was really good for working with antennas. It was +21 Celsius outside
when I installed Beverages and make station ready for contest.

No unexpected technical problems occur during my stay on contest position.
Electrical power was not cut off and only problem was fluctuation of mains
180-250 V depends of load of nearby villages. Because weather was so warm
people around did not used it too much for heating.

Condition was average first night and excellent second. First night I had eight
S-units noise on all my Beverages and it was thrill to hear one or two layers of
stations calling me. I apologize for not being able to hear most of the stations
weaker than 589. Even so I had to ask calls again and again. Really hard job.

Second night noise dropped to normal S Zero point and I enjoyed good
propagation and strong signals from all over the world.

My result is higher than planned by 300 qso. As last year on 160 I decided to
spent less time for S at P and spent more time calling CQ.

This approach pays off again and I was very happy to be called by many
extraordinary DX countries and Zones. I made few qso on other bands (mostly
160) and specially to mention that I couldn't resist HC8N request to
QSY on 160 as it was New One for me.

Weak opening to USA last hour of the contest brought me few new stations in
log. I wish I can make at least
10% of USA qsos in my log from EY.

I would like to thank Nick UN4L for competition and raising the bar of Zone 17
record on high level and make
us work hard to compete. Actually this competition leaded some changes in
continent records too.

GL and tomorrow it is time to start preparations for CQ WW 2009 season.

73! Nodir EY8MM
http://www.ey8mm.com

Some statistics: http://www.ey8mm.com/index.php?page=ww2008cw