[3830] CQWW CW SJ2W(SM2WMV) SOSB/80 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 09:45:24 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: SJ2W
Operator(s): SM2WMV
Station: SM2WMV

Class: SOSB/80 HP
QTH: Da Traesk

   80: 1551    34      111
Total: 1551    34      111  Total Score = 386,425

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

Had a blast working the first serious effort in a contests from the new QTH that
was bought late this summer. Only band that we had real antennas up for was 80M
so I as station owner decided that I would do the honors :)

Up in the north we have daytime propagations towards both JA and US but
unfortunatly a lot of people only seem to use the cluster nowdays and doesn't
scan the bands. I checked now afterfards and the time I got real JA rate was
the only time I got spotted during daytime, that time I worked 40 JAs in just a
short while.

I worked a total of 104 zone 25 and a total of about 290 US stations were
logged. Worked 37% DX which is a bit suprising for me, didn't think the number
would be that high.

Propagations were good but activity seemed to be pretty low. The US and JA
stations that called during daytime were really loud but low activity, S&P the
bands! Dont just look at the cluster. No VK6 worked which was a dissapointment,
propagations were there because I logged three other VK:s but none from zone 29.
Was also extremely annoying that during a S&P run I heard 4S7NE, a DU and HS
station during just a few kHz calling other stations, all new mults (and never
worked). I went up a few kHz and started to CQ towards east but without any
luck.

Most positive thing after the weekend was how easy it was to break pileups,
something I have never experienced before on 80M so the new QTH seem to perform
OK, or it was just luck. Biggest thrill of the contest? Working KH7X at 10:57z!

Rig: FT1000D (thanks SM2HWG)
Amp: 4-1000A
Antenna: 4-SQ