[3830] CQWW CW K5NA M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 12:06:28 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K5NA
Operator(s): K5NA, K5DU, K5WA, N3BB, K5PI
Station: K5NA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Texas

  160:   79    23       77
   80:  259    31      113
   40: 1196    38      145
   20: 1163    36      140
   15:  204    30       86
   10:   17     9       10

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

This was a fun contest even though it is the bottom of the cycle.

I didn't think that the cycle could bottom out more, but it did. This was our
poorest 10M effort ever and we had no contacts on 10M in zones 6, 7, 8, or 9. I
don't remember that EVER happening before.

15M started out looking like a disaster too, but we kept plugging along and
eventually got our multiplier totals on 15M to 80 percent of what we had last
year.

20M and 40M were outstanding. We had longer and more substained runs on these
bands than I remember ever having before. It is interstng that 40M was a little
better for us than 20M. I don't recall that happening before either.

80M and 160M were great with better conditions and more multipliers than ever
before from this QTH in Texas.

We had three outstanding operators (K5WA, N3BB, and K5PI) come over to help us
do this contest. I was amazed how these guys could stay in the chair for hours
and maintain incredible run rates. Susan (K5DU) and I did mainly logistics and
multiplier chasing while marveling at the skills of these three operators.

This was the first contest for my brand-new new K3 and it was our 40M station.
K5WA brought another K3 over and we put it on 20M. I think those two fine
radios helped us do a better job of running on crowded bands. I am glad we took
the time to put those radios on-line before the contest started.

Since I didn't do much running, I didn't get my hands on either of those radios
very much. I am looking forward to the next weekend and the 160M Contest and my
first serious effort with a K3.

73, Richard - K5NA