[3830] CQWW CW N2IC SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 12:14:04 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N2IC
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: New Mexico

  160:   82    16       48
   80:  323    30       85
   40:  921    36      114
   20: 1227    35      129
   15:  158    26       59
   10:   14     6        5

A very interesting weekend. 10 and 15 were the deadest I have heard them from
this QTH, and maybe even during the sunspot minimum from the previous Colorado
QTH.

160 - I don't have a big signal on this band - a vertical on a rocky
mountaintop just doesn't work like it would on flat land. Band was okay on
Friday night, but really played well around Europe sunrise on Saturday night.
36 Europeans worked. Very poor to JA both mornings with only 2 JA's worked.
Heard VR2PX, BY, and UA0 both mornings, but no QSOs.

80 - FB to Europe and JA both nights. 97 EU and 102 JA's. Fun to work UN4L
short path, and EY8MM long path, as well as a very loud JT1BV.

40 - The nighttime workhorse. Never could get much going to Europe. When the
band was at it's best, I was either on 20 running JA, or beaming JA after
Europe sunrise. Otherwise, the MUF was too low to Europe. 175 EU. 465 JA.

20 - Best 20 meter numbers ever for me. Super EU rate for about 1.5 hours each
morning. I learned one thing this year - Be on 20 just as the sun is rising,
rather than DXing on 40 and 80. For about 30 minutes at sunrise, I felt like I
was at KC1XX ! 564 EU (136 DL's). 311 JA's. Surprised to miss Zone 18 - usually
easy from here around 01Z, but by 01Z, the band was almost dead.

15 - Struggled to work 10 EU and 13 JA. First contest I have operated from here
that there was no JA opening. For a few minutes 5H3EE was the loudest signal on
the band.

10 - A VHF band. HC8N and LU1HF were beacons for hours, but never moved the S
meter. Happy to work PY2NDX and CE3AA for double mults on 5 minute openings.

The station and operator played well. I'll keep the old TS-950SDX's around for
a while longer. It rained on Thursday and Friday, reducing the power line noise
to insignificant levels on all bands and all directions.