[3830] CQWW CW K1KI M/2 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 14:18:20 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K1KI
Operator(s): K1KI KM1P
Station: K1KI

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CT

  160:  126    17       67
   80:  564    30      116
   40: 1442    34      136
   20: 1692    34      138
   15:  421    29      104
   10:   35    10       15

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Had tentative plans for a serious M/S, then perhaps M/2 as a couple of
additional operators said they might come.  Then we were down to just two
people as the weekend arrived - so KM1P and I just decided to put in as many
hours as each of us could!   Ended up a whole lot of fun with Joe doing 35-40
hours and me doing about 45. Eleven hours of sleep Sunday night was easy!
Joe's 5 hour trip from a visit to relatives in the Philadelphia area stalled a
bit in traffic, making it closer to seven hours, but he arrived in time to have
a brief snack and then threw himself into the 40m maelstrom.

Joe did most of the running on the hot bands on one station and I did whatever
other band was open (and there were seldom more than two).   Had a couple of
antenna problems on 160-80-15 that would have been very annoying if we'd been
more serious.   No 4-sq switch box on 160, so it was on Eu the whole time.  On
80m it was way down to the SE so everything in that direction was worked on the
NE or SW position.  SWR is reasonable so not sure yet what to fix.  On 15m the
(very old) stacking switch is not working quite right - think the lower antenna
at 30' got 1/3 of the power all of the time...   No smell of any roasting
transformers or other issues except when the 10m beam was pointed SE towards
the house the keying cable needed some extra ferrite to calm down.

Though ten meters was not the "usual" fun band, we worked more DX countries
than in just about any VHF contest we've done.   Finally got HC8N late Sunday
afternoon.  Heard them a few times whisper weak under a local birdie a few
times before that but no QSO.   Heard YW4D Saturday but too weak to work, got
him Sunday.  Managed one zone 8 QSO when HI3A answered one of our rare CQs on
10m.  He was there for a minute then never heard again.  Kudos to M/M 10m
operators who listened to the hiss all day ling!

Nice opening to JA on Sunday morning on 160 - heard a half dozen but didn't
work any of them (nor VK or ZL).  Band seemed great Friday night to Europe, not
as good Saturday night.  Heard UA9MA in the last hour but no QSO.

Two hours after sunset on Saturday, worked VK6DXI with the beam LP to the
southeast, also heard VK6HD and some JAs.   YE1ZAT was 559 but his local QRM
level must have been high, so no QSO.

On Saturday morning on 15m before the band (barely) opened to Eu, one my CQs to
the SE brought back a LP response from a JR6R**, the only JA heard on 15m.
Guess his southerly Okinawa QTH helped out.  Had a nice 90 minute EU run on
Sunday morning, otherwise lots of tuning and S/P.

Of course, the real reason for a multi-op effort here is to force me to clean
the radio shack (home office) and make it more presentable.   That goal was
mostly attained - most of the stacks of paper and half-completed projects at
least got pushed to the side of the room...

The log is going to be uploaded to LoTW soon - thanks for the QSOs and QSLs.

               73 Tom/K1KI