[3830] CQWW CW VO1MP SOAB(A) HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 1 18:13:48 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: VO1MP
Operator(s): VO1MP
Station: VO1MP

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: NL

  160:   83    12       39
   80:  201    21       73
   40:  202    22       80
   20:  438    24       22
   15:   94    18       48
   10:    4     3        4

Club: East Coast Canada Contest Club

Comments:

As always  a fun contest , however after lots of deliberation and chiding by
local radio friends about my incalcitrant attitude toward  getting my SO2R
into action I finally capitulated
 and decided that here goes .....!!!
So  It  was  by a sense of experimental design that finally I would operate as
SO2R. Initially I had felt that this is a piece of cake,  after all I had seen
Yuri  VE3DZ  do it from here and he made it look so easy  .. ...  yeah right !!

Initially I had allowed  myself a lot of leeway  and decided that Rate and or
score should not
factor into the evaluation process less I distort  my own evaluation.... this
poved to be a small part of my  own
undoing so to speak .
I had set parameters of 300  Band Countries, 100  Zones and 1000 QSOs all of
which were  far too low as guidelines.  I spent only 28 Hours  operating and  a
lot of  time snacking and napping not necessarily in that order. MY very first
observation is that the amount of energy expended while doing full blown SO2R
far exceeds  that  required  with a single rig and keyboard , Hardly an earth
shatterign revelation !!  Consequently I frequently succumbed to the feeling
that I  needed to take a break (s)  so napping and  snacking became the rigeur
du jour. Kudos to the guys who do this seemlessly , it is obvously not( for me
anyway ) an inherent skill and would seem to require  a tonne of practice to
get thoroughly at ease with the process.. I am  one  who is accustomed to
operating more or less by rote without having to pay attention to  controls and
switching in addition to operating. As a method to otherwise eliminate the
process of having to simultaneously tune another band while operating I elected
to do assisted with a cluster connection , this method did in fact help
.........however  as  others are apt to call it ... this mode ..IS.. by it's
nature ..assuredly Single Op  distracted. Any  body who does full blown SO2R
without cluster  quite obviously has to work....or operate  however one wishes
to categorize it.Toward the end of the contest I found myself  totally
abandonning  the two radio listening process and elected to switch back and
forth  between rigs .. not  a true SO2R . I did  find it  an interesting
exercise  and although  I had  used two rigs for a long time it was  my first
excursion into REAl SO2r . I will comment  that I  found it tireing as opposed
to  difficult and   for me that may be  a consequence of  ageing as opposed to
abilities. Will I try it  again ?.... yeah I think so.... however  the
ergonomics and station lay out  need to be improved to facilate conrol  and
minimize fatigue I guess one has to operate   to realy see the shortcomings and
advantages.

Conditions  were  variable   40 meters  as  most have noted were not great on
night one 80 and 160  were  good
from here  as other  have  noted..

Piss and Moan:
I read with amusement   the notes posted  by KH7B  and echo his sentiments
entirely, I too have become increasingly aware that the number of lids  is
increasing , I found the same  problem with sweepstakes and now aqain  in
CQWWCW . Perhaps  it IS  an accepted part  of PILEUP busting  where might is
right
I also absolutely refuse to change  my mind on who it is I have acknowledged
and I  resort to resending the  letters I had actually copied as many as  five
or six times  until they get the message ..... cheeeese  and I am not even a
mult in this contest..... my observations made during ssb sweeps  still hold
true. Unfortunately  one needs to repeat the process over and over because the
few lids in you present pile up will be worked and  gone soon and a new batch
will take their place .......  I know it's like preaching to the Choir...
however unless we do something  to minimize  the effect of these LID operators
it can and will  only get worse. I know  people dont like pissers and moaners
but we  need em, as a some time Contest op dxpeditioner  who hasn't been  on
one for a
while I wonder how DX Location operators  cope with or have  found this....

Anyway Thanks for Qso's
C'Y'all Next one
GLWCDR

73  Gus  VO1MP