[3830] CQWW CW W5GAI SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 2 12:22:21 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W5GAI
Operator(s): W5GAI
Station: W5GAI

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Austin, TX

  160:    3     3        2
   80:
   40:  160    23       67
   20:  287    31      101
   15:   73    21       39
   10:    2     2        2

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Logging software: N1MM First time doing a contest using N1MM to also key the
transmitter, using WinKey USB. Missed the 1st 3 hours of the contest
integrating N1MM and WinKeyUSB after learning that the RS232 interface
cable I had in P29 was not working, then the desktop COM port would not
recognize the radio, s moved over to laptop and wrestled with the N1MM/WinKey
setup a good while before getting them talking. I got lots of practice on the
P29 DXpedition and found it does help once you get used to it. 10/160 were
really poor, with 15 not far behind. That left everyone on 20/40 and it was a
zoo, all the way above 14140 which I have never heard before. Spent too much
time trying to break piles for new mults, such as ZS4TX and ZS1EL who always
has huge pileups. Highlights: working Gary W5ZL at 6Y1V on 40/20, finding a few
rare ones who had yet to be spotted & bringing on the hordes of big guns: 5Z4,
AH0, B4, C4, ER, IT9, J4 (SV9), TA, UA9, UP, UU, ZC4, working NR5M and
LU1HF on 10 meters (only ones I ever heard there), and VE3ZI on 160 because he
was the only DX who would answer me.