[3830] CQWW CW HB0/DK4YJ SOSB/40 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 2 12:51:46 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: HB0/DK4YJ
Operator(s): DK4YJ
Station: HB0/DK4YJ

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH: Triesenberg

   40: 2307    35      137
Total: 2307    35      137  Total Score = 716,552

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

After beeing to Liechtenstein for the ARRL CW this year, DK9TN and me decided to
return to HB0 for the CQWW CW. Due to space restrictions at our QTH we decided
to do SOSB 40m and SOSB 20m. Located at the very steep rise from the rhine
valley at abt. 1250m asl, the QTH has a clear shot to the west but high
montains to the east.

I used a inverted vee @ 10m and a triple leg vertical antenna for 40m.
Surprisingly for me, the dipole worked better for almost all stations
except south america, so it was not a big issue for me that we had to take down
the vertical due to a storm on sunday noon.

The first night was great, I stayed on one frequency for the first 10 hours and
got 1000+ QSOs, 110 DXCCs and 30 Zones in this time. Conditions on 40m seemed
fantastic, I worked lots of westcoast during the whole contest. The afternoon
was pretty boring as QSOs to the east are quite difficult from that QTH. I
missed a lot of mults in that direction. Only 2 JAs came in the log, a few UA9,
no VU, YB, HS, BY, DU etc.

I almost gave up hope for zone 2 when ve2xaa/2 called in on sunday at
around 12:30 local time. What a nice surprise!

Thanks for all the QSOs and for the patience when it took me quite a while
to dig out the signal between all this QRM from EU.

All QSOs of this acitivity will be confirmed automatically via the bureau.

Some pictures will be available soon at http://www.dk9tn.de/2008-hb0-cqww-cw/

73s and cu next year,

Matthias, DK4YJ