[3830] SS SSB VY2TT(K6LA) Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 2 22:59:48 EST 2008

                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MAR

   40: 1113

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Late report as I took the wrong file home. Got it when I went back to PEI for
CQWW CW.

I do believe I carry Murphy around in my backpack. After finding a FEW audio
cable problems, including TWO on the mic cable, I still couldn't get my
recorded audio to play back without horrible distortion. I've concluded, but
have yet to prove, there is a problem with the computer sound card. Live mic
audio going through the computer gets transmitted perfectly.

I was looking forward to testing a new K3 against an Icom 7800. But I didn't
have a voice recorder in the K3 (why would I need one when I use a computer to
do that?) So I wound up running on the 7800 95+% of the time. Plus the Alpha
87A on the K3 started turning itself off (and what follows is the longest 3
minutes in ham radio.)

Before the contest I told myself it was only a 28 hour contest. I would not
save time for the last two hours. I ignored my own advice and didn't work the
last hour of the contest because I only made 6 QSOs in 20 minutes during the
previous hour.

After only 2 or 3 tries, I blew off a WP4 who called in at ESP during a furious
40 meter run. I figured PR would be an easy find on 15 meters Sunday afternoon.
WRONG. I never heard VY1EI or anyone else there. I thought I heard the pileup
high on 20 meters, but could never hear the station being called.

This was my 2nd Phone SS from PEI and looks like the 2nd time I'll wind up # 11
or 12. Next time I'll follow my advice to myself.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT