[3830] CQWW CW N4TZ/9 SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 3 08:10:48 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N4TZ/9
Operator(s): N4TZ
Station: N4TZ/9

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IN

  160:   83    15       43
   80:  218    23       79
   40:  281    31       99
   20:  548    26      106
   15:  106    20       53
   10:    3     3        2

"When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

 High-band conditions in general seemed poorer than
 last year's CW weekend and also worse than the
 2008 SSB contest.   At least I worked a USA
 multiplier on 10m this time!

 Unlike N1UR and N5AW, I did not achieve QSO totals
 reminiscent of a sunspot maximum!  I was a good
 500 QSOs short of my 2003 contest, which gives me
 something to look forward to when sunspots return.

 Once again, I worked about 1,000 QSOs search and
 pounce which means I did have a few small runs.
 Very few Europeans heard on 15, most near S0.
 Could not work them on second radio while running
 on 20 so several times concentrated on 15 on
 Saturday.  Unlike N1UR, I did not find 15 very
 cooperative on Sunday morning, except for a
 couple of African multipliers.

 I took a nap after European sunrise Sunday to
 awaken to horrible QRN from falling snow.  I
 don't have any beverages to the SW or NW so
 missed some hoped for (expected?) multipliers
 from that part of the world on the 160-20m bands.

 I did work two new ones (OX, OH0) on 160 to reach
 100 countries worked in contests with low power.
 Last year I had such bad QRN on 160 that I had
 to listen on the NE beverage to work zone 8 and
 9.  After that, I purchased an MFJ noise canceller
 which I unboxed just before this contest and put
 on the desk (unconnected) to keep Murphy away.
 It seemed to work in this passive mode, because
 I could hear a lot more than I could work on
 160 this year.

      Continent List  2008 CQWW CW N4TZ/9

                   160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --   ---
  USA calls   =      2     1     2     8     2     2    17
  VE calls    =     26    25    18    34    11     0   114
  N.A. calls  =     19    26    31    33    24     0   133
  S.A. calls  =      4     9    30    23    39     1   106
  Euro calls  =     27   141   145   392    13     0   718
  Afrc calls  =      3     6    12    18    12     0    51
  Asia calls  =      0     4    23     6     1     0    34
  JA calls    =      0     3     5    29     0     0    37
  Ocen calls  =      2     3    15     5     4     0    29

  Total calls =     83   218   281   548   106     3  1239