[3830] CQWW CW V47NT(N2NT) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 3 11:03:54 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: V47NT
Operator(s): N2NT
Station: V47KP

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: St. Kitts

  160:  440    16       60
   80:  874    22       85
   40: 2276    32      107
   20: 2599    33      112
   15: 1162    27       84
   10:   16     7       12

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Many thanks to W2OX, K3NM, and V44KAI for their support on my 3rd trip to V4.

On Thursday I became ill and thought I wouldn't be able to put a full effort
in.
But I slept a long time, so I felt good enough to sit in the chair for 48
hours.
Only had to take a 15 min "health" break on Sunday :)

The power line noise was mostly gone this year, and the addition of a EU
beverage was a big help. The 20 mtr ant (TH7) was a bit of a problem. Could not
crank up the mast, and the rotator failed. However,the armstrong method was used
and fixed to EU in the morning, USA/Asia in the late afternoon. The QTH is so
good, that an antenna at 20 feet is plenty.

Got off to a great start, and things went well. My biggest mistake was assuming
I would be able to find the other Caribbean single ops on Sunday for passing
around the bands. That didn't happen. Heard 8P5A and V26K exactly one time all
weekend, and never once heard PZ5TT. I heard K1TTT on 10 mtrs for one second
but that was it. No USA on 10. I can't wait until 15 and 10 actually open for
one of these. 160 and 80 were in good shape, but it was obviously noisy on the
other end. I had to go split almost every time.

Most frustrating moment was when someone spotted me as ZF2NT, and I spent 10
mins working dupes. I try to send my call after almost every qso, but v47nt is
a mouthful. By Sunday afternoon, there was no way I could send it by hand.
At times I couldn't even remember it!

CU next year!

73, Andy N2NT