[3830] CQWW CW K6GEP SOAB(A) LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Dec 4 01:59:58 EST 2008

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K6GEP
Operator(s): K6GEP
Station: K6GEP

Class: SOAB(A) LP
QTH: CA

   80:   69    18       41
   40:   55    18       28
   20:   83    18       26
   15:   20    10       12
   10:    1     1        1

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

As a low power contester with wires, I've learned that there are 2 key factors
that either make or break a contest weekend:  Humidity and K Index.  When
we had humidity in the single digits with our Santa Ana winds on SS SSB
weekend,
I had a 10 over 9 noise level.  We had some nice rain a few days before CQWW
CW, so the insulators on the power poles were washed off, and my noise
level was a quiet S3!  And with the K Index at 0 or 1, I was good to go!

I would say 15 meters was half-way open, just like in the SSB contest.  20
was OK.  40 M was good, and 80 meters was superb!  I had recently raised
the lower end of my 80M sloper, and it helped a lot.

80M was outstanding on Saturday night!  S53MM took the cake for the loudest
EU station I have ever heard on 80.  He was an honest S9!  AMAZING!  I worked
about 6 new band counters on 80, including YT3M (already confirmed on LoTW)
bringing my worked total up to 94.  New on 80: HC, YS, OM, YU, (maybe RU1A),
and YV.

As usual, I spent too much time on 80, and neglected 40, but I don't regret
it.
I am kicking myself that I was 6 measly points shy of my goal of 100,000
points.
It still is a personal best for me.

I was surprised that the pileups didn't seem to die down as the weekend went
on.  Even big guns from JA like JA3YBK had huge pileups in the last 2 hours.
I couldn't crack the pileups for 3V8BB (80m his sunrise), OX, and AH0BT
(insane
pileups)

Thanks to the 3X5A group for 4 bands.  I didn't know this would be an annual
event.  Tnx to N6QQ for 10m and move to 15m.

My only pet peave is the TO prefix.  Don't get me wrong - I am very grateful
to the groups like TO4X going on dxpeditions, but is there any way to convince
the licensing authority to use the good old FS or FG or FR prefixes?  Why
cant we keep TO for French Polynesia where it belongs?  OK I will stop
venting.

Thanks to the many dxpeditions for making this a fun weekend.

Rig:
FT-990

Ants:
80 meter dipole sloping from 50 feet  (improved)
40 meter inv vee at 50 feet
20 meter dipole at 20 feet oriented NE
15 meter dipole at 25 feet

SW: N3FJP CQWW Log