[3830] ARRL 160 K9NW(@K9UWA) Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 7 02:48:17 EST 2008

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9NW
Operator(s): K9NW
Station: K9UWA

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN71

Total:  QSOs = 611  Sections = 66  Countries = 5  Total Score = 87,827

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Radio died around midnight Saturday.  No back up handy so this one was in the
books.

For kicks, I decided to try something different and went QRP.  Having a
directional transmit antenna makes QRP CQing an interesting exercise.  You're
never quite sure if someone is just tuning by because you're not pointed their
way, and your signal is already down from the QRO guys.

Just under 500 QSOs the first night and just a little more than 100 in seven
hours the second night before the rig blew up so I probably wasn't leaving too
many more QSOs on the table but I was hoping to pull in a few more of the
missing western sections.  Oh well....doodoo occurs....

DX:  P4, HI, F(!), HK0, ZF

It was fun.  QRP on Topband is certainly a challenge but I think I'll revert
back to QRO next time.  It's too frustrating hearing long haul DX with little
chance of working it.  Thanks for the QSOs!

And thanks again, as always, to John and Jean for letting me stop by to tune
the bands!

73, Mike K9NW