[3830] ARRL 160 K9MMS Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 7 18:38:47 EST 2008

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 892  Sections = 71  Countries = 8  Total Score = 143,069

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

The first several hours were great fun.  I started at 2215Z and made 70 S&P QSOs
until 2328Z.  Then I had a blast with a CQ run from 2329Z to 0318Z and made 365
QSOs on the first run (avg. 96 / hr).  Per the log report, the hourly rate
meter for the first 6 hours was at 39, 77, 100, 100, 95, and 70.  Had 650 Qs
and 70 mults after the first night.

The second day was not much fun.  The K3 started exhibiting intermittent P.A.
and auto tuner problems, and I took it out of service after QSO 715.  (The 100
watt P.A. failed and had to be replaced after the Stew Perry 160 warm-up in
October.  It worked fine during SS CW.)  Spent most of the second day's effort
using my old TS-940S A/T with the 500 Hz filter (45% of total operating time
for the contest).  What a let down -- not having the K3 receiver filtering,
etc.  Switched RX antennas to the "940," but receiving was tough -- listening
through the higher noise levels.  It took a while to adjust to going back to
the "940" after having been "conditioned" by using the K3.  :)

Was unable to get any good CQ runs going the second day, but did manage a few
short runs.  Most S&P tuning-sweeps found stations already in the log, so that
was not very productive.  Almost quit early, but decided to see if I could
reach the 1000 QSO mark.  Not to be -- just could not find enough new calls to
work and could not get very productive CQ runs going.  Missed some replies and
had to ask for too many repeats due to the degraded receive situation.  It was
hard to find slots for CQs without the K3, too, with wall-to-wall stations on
the band.  Oh well, still, this is one of my favorite contests.

Missed NNY, LAX, WY, NL, MB, NWT, PAC, AK, and PR.  DX worked: CX, F, FM, HI
(2), 5K0T, P4, XE, and ZF.  (Still need more antenna work to improve on DX.)

Thanks for the QSOs.
73,  Gary