[3830] ARRL 160 K9AY Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 7 23:01:08 EST 2008

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9AY
Operator(s): K9AY
Station: K9AY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 1465  Sections = 77  Countries = 32  Total Score = 336,374

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

First hour rate was 148, 2nd hour was the same for 40 minutes -- then the amp
broke. Found the problem, made the repair and was back on track in 50 minutes,
but losing a good run freq meant S&P through the band until I found a spot --
at 1871.5. The setback just made me press on regardless, and I'll never know
how many QSOs were lost. Steady running and only a little S&P resulted in some
great mults calling in. I was quite pleased to work several DX stations who
made only a small number of contacts.

Missed AK, PR and NT. Condx (and my RX antennas) were not so good to the west.
Thanks to JA3YBK for calling at sunrise for my only Asia QSO. No Oceania
outside KH6. Thanks also to the EU stations who hung in there while I got their
calls through the QRM, QRN and QSB. One UA3 never gave up while some "2" tried
to steal the freq and other US/VE stations had to be worked after I ID'ed to
hold the freq -- we both got a hard-earned QSO!

Rig: (2) IC-765, Alpha 99 (blew fixed caps in the loading circuit)
TX ant: 100-ft 25G, top-loaded, series-fed
RX ants: 550-ft Beverages NE, SE; 310-ft Beverages NW, SW

73, Gary
K9AY